Edinburgh Chess Club: Archives

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Townsend

Edinburgh Chess Club: Archives

Post by John Townsend » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 am

Can anyone tell me, please, whether Edinburgh Chess Club's collection of manuscript letters and documents has been catalogued? A friend mentioned to me a letter by Howard Staunton and I would like to know if there are others.

Geoff Chandler

Re: Edinburgh Chess Club: Archives

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:09 pm

Hi John,

It's a work in progress. I'll get in touch with the team on it and see how far they have got. I am pretty sure they are onto letters and receipts now. The first task was to register every book and magazine.

One main and very welcome problem is every now and then an entire collection is donated to the club, We have had three very large ones over the past year including everything from the now defunct Glasgow club. (some wonderful items amongst that lot.) So more book and magazine indexing was required.
We also had to build a new library case to display the books (it's a work of art, definitely not an IKEA job.)

I photo-copied all the minutes from 1822 - 1936 (eventually... I could not help but start reading a page and getting engrossed.) If interested I'll see if I can dig out the relevant pages about Staunton's visit.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:12 pm

Geoff, thank you for your reply. I would be interested in any reference to Staunton in the minutes, and, of course, any Staunton letters.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:20 pm

I'll be in touch via a PM.