Van der Linde and Von der Lasa books ; any translations?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Souheil Marine

Van der Linde and Von der Lasa books ; any translations?

Post by Souheil Marine » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:40 am

Hi,
Sorry if this issue was raised before.
Being not fluent - to say the least - in German, i searched for english translations - even partial - of the above-mentioned classical 19th century author’s books on chess history and found nothing.
Do i need to learn German 😇 or try the services of an automatic translation resource or can someone suggest a well-hidden translation that i couldn’t find ?
Thanks for any useful hint
S. M.

Tim Harding

Re: Van der Linde and Von der Lasa books ; any translations?

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:04 pm

Souheil Marine wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:40 am
Being not fluent - to say the least - in German, i searched for english translations - even partial - of the above-mentioned classical 19th century author’s books on chess history and found nothing.
Do i need to learn German 😇 or try the services of an automatic translation resource or can someone suggest a well-hidden translation that i couldn’t find ?
S. M.
Never seen any translations of either. So it's one of your first two options, same as it was for me, and I never did much with Von der Lasa
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Souheil Marine

Post by Souheil Marine » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:39 pm

Thanks a lot Mr. Harding. Well automatic translation and the help of my daughter in German would likely be helpful 😇
I am currently reading your very excellent and useful book: British chess literature to 1914 . On p. 139 you make a long instructive quote of Staunton’s editorial in the first issue of his «  The chess world » in which he claims that the number of chess clubs (in the whole of Britain?) has fallen from 140 (in the 40-50s?) to only 40 at the time of writing (1865). To your knowledge is that claim substantiated by facts? Would Seargent book - unfortunately i still didn’t manage to get hold of a copy of it - be of any help to clarify this issue?
Best regards

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:46 pm

Souheil Marine wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:39 pm
Thanks a lot Mr. Harding. Well automatic translation and the help of my daughter in German would likely be helpful 😇
I am currently reading your very excellent and useful book: British chess literature to 1914 . On p. 139 you make a long instructive quote of Staunton’s editorial in the first issue of his «  The chess world » in which he claims that the number of chess clubs (in the whole of Britain?) has fallen from 140 (in the 40-50s?) to only 40 at the time of writing (1865). To your knowledge is that claim substantiated by facts? Would Seargent book - unfortunately i still didn’t manage to get hold of a copy of it - be of any help to clarify this issue?
Best regards
That's really a separate question and you would do better to start a new thread.
I am not at home today to consult the books in question but...
The short answers are:
Possibly yes (re: Staunton, he was in a good position to know);
Very much doubt it (re: Sergeant, I don't recall he discusses early Victorian clubs)
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:55 pm

Souheil Marine wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:40 am
Hi,
Sorry if this issue was raised before.
S. M.
How many pages are we talking about? I would have thought that these days with the internet it would be fairly easy to find someone to translate them for you, possibly someone in the former East Germany. Have you tried posting on the German equivalent of this forum whatever that might be?