Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Ingrid Ives

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

Post by Ingrid Ives » Mon May 01, 2023 10:07 pm

Chess Club
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 01, 2023 10:25 pm

The "Postal Chess Club" was run by BH Wood as part of the magazine "Chess". BH was a keen CC (Correspondence Chess) player, and he organised events which he publicised in his magazine (and he did collect entry fees of course). There were individual and team events, some open to all, and others based on promotion and relegation. I think you could just ask to be paired with someone and he would facilitate that. The PCC continued after "Chess" was taken over by Pergamon, but when Malcolm Pein took over, he closed PCC down. There are a number of CC organisations in UK, all doing good work, but it gets complicated working out who does and did what!

Tim Harding doubtless knows a lot more about PCC.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Mon May 01, 2023 10:39 pm

Thanks for this insight, Kevin.

I suppose a benefit of playing correspondence chess would be the ability to fit it in around one’s day job?
That said, the attached game suggests otherwise. I’m not sure who is withdrawing; David Parr or my father? People all seemed to have very similar writing in those days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Mon May 01, 2023 11:14 pm

Chess Club

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 02, 2023 12:42 am

Ingrid Ives wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 10:39 pm
I’m not sure who is withdrawing; David Parr or my father?
David Parr gained something of a reputation for withdrawing from events. Many years later in 1977, I beat him in the first round of a major London tournament, He didn't appear for the second round. That was by no means unique in his playing history.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue May 02, 2023 8:46 am

I see Roger got there first! I got the impression "silent withdrawal" was more DP's style than sending a message.

BCCA is British Correspondence Chess Association and https://www.bccachess.org/about/history/ might help.

Ian Pheby, President and Treasurer of EFCC (English Federation for Correspondence Chess), https://www.efcchess.org.uk/about.html provided more information on PCC.

The PCC had at least one division (perhaps two or three?) of teams of 10 boards with four games per board. This was held annually with Mushrooms being the strongest team in the late eighties and early nineties. One year Mushrooms was so strong that they scored something like 35 out of 40. Bearing in mind the strength of the teams at that time that was an incredible score. (I will modestly confirm that as I was playing about board 9 - KJT)

For individuals, the PCC ran a variety of competitions – mini leagues of seven players with promotion available, knockouts, a championship, etc. These were largely quite strong but by the early 1990s interest was dropping off in a similar way to evening league chess.

Keith Escott ran the PCC for a very long time under B H Wood. Paul Lamford became editor of "Chess" and was in charge of the PCC for a couple of years before Malcolm Pein took over, and scrapped the PCC.

Old issues of "Chess" would provide more information.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue May 02, 2023 3:52 pm

Here are six more games digitised from the latest press cuttings posted by Ingrid...

As before, the key to viewing games is to click on the three dots above the diagram. Also, having mouse-clicked somewhere in the viewer area, it becomes possible to navigate from one game to another by pressing "N" for next game or "B" to go back to the previous game.

As Roger and Kevin have already pointed out, David Parr was a notorious "drop out". I recall he did his disappearing trick at a Bucks & Berks (Marlow) Congress half a century or so ago and someone wrote in a magazine that the organisers "all but had the Thames dragged" to track him down...
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Tue May 02, 2023 6:32 pm

David Parr sounds like a character! I’m surprised anyone wanted to play him with a reputation like that.

Kevin, many thanks for the additional information about the PCC and thanks also to John for adding those games. A few more to follow.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Tue May 02, 2023 6:32 pm

Chess Club

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Tue May 02, 2023 6:51 pm

Chess Club

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Tue May 02, 2023 7:02 pm

Chess Club

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Tue May 02, 2023 7:11 pm

Chess Club

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Tue May 02, 2023 7:20 pm

York 1959

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri May 12, 2023 1:17 pm

I am pleased to be able to report that there will be more material to share in this thread in the days to come. Ingrid has very kindly lent me her father's chess memorabilia including scorebooks, newspaper cuttings and tournament programmes and it's my intention to digitise games and determine dates of newspaper cuttings over the coming months, with a CHESS magazine article also in the pipeline.

Ronnie Ives was accorded an obituary in both CHESS and BCM. Here are the cuttings...
1964-02 p185 CHESS obit RW Ives = article.jpg
1964-04 p105 BCM obit RW Ives - article.jpg
... and the text from the above articles for ease of reference...
CHESS and BCM obits wrote:CHESS Magazine, Vol.29, no.454, February 1964, p185

LOST GAME. . .

Our dear friend Ronny Ives died on February 13th [1964] at the tragically early age of 40. He went into hospital in the New Year for what seemed a minor operation but turned out more serious.

R. W. Ives had been a member of the Wakefield C. C. since its re-formation in 1946 and more recently a member, also, of Leeds C. C. Except for a short period when he played for Leeds, he took first board for Wakefield in the Woodhouse Cup with marked success. For years he had been a capable and efficient Hon. Treasurer of Yorkshire C. A. and chess columnist of the Yorkshire Evening Post. He worked in the security department of Barclay’s Bank at Leeds. He will be sadly missed by his numerous friends. He leaves a wife and three children. [uncredited but almost certainly written by B.H. Wood]

British Chess Magazine, April 1964, p105

R. W. IVES

The sudden death on February 13th [1964] of R. W. Ives, at the tragically early age of forty, has robbed the North of England of one of its best known chess figures.

R. W. Ives had been a member of the Wakefield C.C. since its reformation in 1946 and more recently a member of Leeds C.C. He was a rather stronger player by correspondence than over-the-board and at the time of his unfortunate death was participating in the B.C.F. Correspondence Championship.

For the last few years he had been a very capable and efficient Hon. Treasurer of the Yorkshire C.A. and chess columnist of the Yorkshire Evening Post. He leaves a widow and three young daughters, to whom our deepest sympathy goes.—A[lex]. Schofield.
... more to follow soon.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri May 12, 2023 4:32 pm

Not the most important thing, but noted the game scorebook upthread had space for 100 moves a game!

70-80 seems to be the norm.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)