What happened in Weenink v Kmoch?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
JustinHorton

What happened in Weenink v Kmoch?

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:02 pm

Richard James has this, relating to the 1930 Munich Olympiad.

A striking incident, you might think (reported, as the excerpt says, in the Evening Standard, with the clipping being from the Falkirk Herald of 30 July 1930). But do we have any information on what actually happened? I note that the game score seems not to appear in the chessgames.com record of either Weenink or Kmoch, though the game between them from London three years earlier is easily located.

There is no reference to the incident in the Olimpbase review (the source for which is not clear - is it original?) though the players met in the opening round, of which match the other three games are available. I also find no mention of any incident in my sole printed source for the event, Chess Olympiads by Árpád Földeák, Corvina, 1966.

Did any such incident occur? And where has the game score gone?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Moore

Re: What happened in Weenink v Kmoch?

Post by John Moore » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:09 pm

MegaBase simply gives Weenink-Kmoch 1-0 with no moves given.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:32 pm

There was a BCM Classic reprint (No 14 in the series) entitled Die Scacholympiade von Hamburg Erinnergungen an die Landerkampfe der FIDE 1930. This was a reprint of the original tournament book published in 1931 and contains 150 games. Half a dozen authors are named, one of whom is J Dimer who is presumably the man referred to in the news clipping. I don't have a copy of this book in either edition but it may be that another member of the Forum has it and can provide further enlightenment.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:25 pm

The game's in Megabase 2022.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:56 pm

I checked in the tournament book (1931, published by L. Tóth) and the book claims that Kmoch was the first player versus Weenik in the Austria - Holland round 1 match played on July 13th 1930.

The score of the game is not given but the result is shown as 0-1 so some confusion there.

The same event has an encounter between Wagner and Larsen plus Krogius playing for Finland. Please send in your post cards to explain these happenings. Wagner beat Larsen with the Ruy Lopez.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Hans Renette

Post by Hans Renette » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:28 pm

This is what De Telegraaf had to say on it on 16 July (with excuses for any mistakes made in translation): "Weenink said something on move 62, believing that Kmoch was a nice fellow who could tolerate something, angrily pushed over the pieces and said: “with that talking in the game you distracted me and now I must lose.” Kmoch also submitted a protest with the arbiter – Robinow – as a Dutch journalist was playing over the game in the tournament hall. "

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:10 pm

There definitely was a Finnish player called Krogius around that time - not sure if he was related to the later and recently deceased Russian GM (save perhaps very distantly) And of course Larsen is one of *the* commonest Danish surnames.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:47 pm

I think I'd have played one more move before resigning. Ka4 - you never know!