Surrey Junior tournaments at Glyn School, Epsom

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Paul Dupré

Surrey Junior tournaments at Glyn School, Epsom

Post by Paul Dupré » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:22 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have bulletins from the Surrey junior championships played at Glyn School, Epsom during the 1970s. Specifically, 1974 to 1977 which I think I played in.

Also, Evening Standard London Junior events 1972 to 1982. Some of which I played. I'm most interested in the under 12s where Richard Holmes beat Julian Hodgson in a play-off.

Don't actually know if there were bulletins for either event.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Leonard Barden

Re: Surrey Junior tournaments at Glyn School, Epsom

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:03 am

I don't recall any bulletins with games from either event. The Evening Standard London juniors had a results bulletin which also included team lists for the GM simuls which took place after the prizegiving. Most of the game scores ended up in my bedroom cupboard after I'd looked them over for possible Evening Standard puzzle positions.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks Leonard,

When I gave up chess the first time, I threw away all my junior paperwork. So, I have no games scores or anything else. But, I do recall results bulletins, which I would like to see again just for interest sake.

Cheers,
Paul
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:26 pm

The London junior bulletins were produced by Peter Morrish, who did all the enormous work of calculating the results and prizewinners, then typing, duplicating and posting the bulletins. I no longer have copies, but perhaps another Forumite does.

I don't recall Tommy Dunne producing any bulletins for the Surrey juniors, but I was not in close touch with that event so cannot be sure.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:59 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:03 am
Most of the game scores ended up in my bedroom cupboard after I'd looked them over for possible Evening Standard puzzle positions.
This comment by Leonard got me thinking about where chess columnists get their puzzle positions from. The obvious answer is "current and past tournament and league and match games". I suppose you could add "games from internet chess sites" as well now. But I hadn't considered junior events as a source. (Leonard, I don't suppose you can remember what rough proportion of the Evening Standard puzzles were from junior events?)

Some positions are just given as "White to move". Some are given with the details of who is playing. I still remember when a combination I had played to win a game got published in a report of a junior event! :D

I never appeared in the Evening Standard, as far as I know... :lol:

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:07 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:26 pm
I don't recall Tommy Dunne producing any bulletins for the Surrey juniors, but I was not in close touch with that event so cannot be sure.
I played in the event in the very early 1970's, a few years before Paul.

I too have no recollection of there being any bulletins.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:14 am

David, we both played in Evening Standard junior event at Starcross School in 1974.