Hampshire Chess History

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
GrahamStuart

Hampshire Chess History

Post by GrahamStuart » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:32 pm

I am aware of the excellent work which has gone into both Britbase and the British Chess News websites, but for those who are interested I have started the Hampshire Chess History Website. https://www.hampshirechesshistory.com/

Although this is early days with information supplied and the Hampshire Chess Archives I am slowly adding articles and documents which may be of relevance / interest. One of the most recent additions is a scanned document by F.Taylor from 1944 which detailed the Hampshire Chess History up to that point.

This post is really just to point people in the direction of the site, but if you have any information you think is of interest I would welcome input / articles.

John Upham

Re: Hampshire Chess History

Post by John Upham » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:00 pm

Graham,

This is a most excellent resource that I will enjoy studying.

Many thanks.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

GrahamStuart

Post by GrahamStuart » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:22 pm

For those who are interested there have been a few additions to my website, but the most recent one is an update on my attempt to compile the Hampshire individual results from the almost 1,000 County matches. As well as some rough analysis this includes the data I have compiled from the SCCU Bulletins, Chiltern Leagues, ECF Grading website and my own Hampshire Chess archives.

The updating of the data is still work in progress, with a lot of proof checking still to be completed, but currently I have the majority from 1963 to present (11,000 results). As well as a chronology of Hampshire Chess the data may be of use to other counties, as this documents our time in the SCCU, WECU as well as Chiltern League. Although some of this is available from other sources, the older data would only be in pdf and not all in one place.

Once I have completed the spreadsheet I am still not sure about best to publish this data on the web and any advice on this would be appreciated. Finally the checking of the Hampshire data has been done more extensively than the opponents, but I will eventually work on these more as well.

The post is available here;
https://www.hampshirechesshistory.com/p ... s_analysis

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:33 pm

GrahamStuart wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:22 pm
For those who are interested there have been a few additions to my website, but the most recent one is an update on my attempt to compile the Hampshire individual results from the almost 1,000 County matches. As well as some rough analysis this includes the data I have compiled from the SCCU Bulletins, Chiltern Leagues, ECF Grading website and my own Hampshire Chess archives.

The updating of the data is still work in progress, with a lot of proof checking still to be completed, but currently I have the majority from 1963 to present (11,000 results). As well as a chronology of Hampshire Chess the data may be of use to other counties, as this documents our time in the SCCU, WECU as well as Chiltern League. Although some of this is available from other sources, the older data would only be in pdf and not all in one place.

Once I have completed the spreadsheet I am still not sure about best to publish this data on the web and any advice on this would be appreciated. Finally the checking of the Hampshire data has been done more extensively than the opponents, but I will eventually work on these more as well.

The post is available here;
https://www.hampshirechesshistory.com/p ... s_analysis
Graham, This is super resource and many, many thanks for putting the work in.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

GrahamStuart

Post by GrahamStuart » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:35 pm

As an update on the site I have recently been adding reports on historic Hampshire Chess Individual Championships (which I don't have as much information as I would like) but if anyone has any information to help expand on these it would be appreciated?

One of the resources I have used is the hand written book of the Hampshire AGM and Council minutes from 1946 to 1985 which due to its age the I did not want to handle too much. I therefore scanned the book and have added this to the website.

If you enjoy reading through old chess minutes you may find this book interesting? Surprisingly there are also some typed minutes from 1962 onwards as well, but I presume the Hampshire Chess Secretary also felt it was important to continue populating the book as well (not sure the typed and hand written documents match 100% either).

https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/hca ... 1946-1985/