William Winter's Memoirs

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

William Winter's Memoirs

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Apart from the serialisation in CHESS (1962 - 1963) have William Winters memoirs (as he wrote them and David Hooper edited them) appeared in print?

I'm sure John Townsend will know the answer to this.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Townsend

Re: William Winter's Memoirs

Post by John Townsend » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 pm

As so often, Edward Winter's Chess Notes contain some relevant information. See his feature article, William Winter:

https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/winter.html

In the course of it, he refers to William Winter’s Memoirs, published by Arthur Hills, at Pulborough, 1997.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:26 pm

John Townsend wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 pm
In the course of it, he refers to William Winter’s Memoirs, published by Arthur Hills, at Pulborough, 1997.
Thanks John and this was my understanding.

My question was triggered by the following from Steve Giddins excellent serialisation : William Winter: Chess Maverick from BCM, 2006, page 493:

"Yet another of Winter's achievements was to be one of the few prominent British Chess Masters who have ever written their memoirs.

His were never published in book form but were serialised by BH Wood in CHESS in 1962-3, giving a remarkably interesting portrait of his turbulent life"

I assume SG was aware of the Arthur Hills publication and considered it not to be in "book form" but some other form.

Curiously SG does not refer to the AH publication.

Does anyone in this place have a copy of the AH publication? I assume it was privately printed and only a handful survive. Did it contain more than the CHESS serial? Is AH still with us?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:59 pm

John Upham wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:26 pm
John Townsend wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 pm
Thanks John and this was my understanding.

My question was triggered by the following from Steve Giddins excellent serialisation : William Winter: Chess Maverick from BCM, 2006, page 493:

"Yet another of Winter's achievements was to be one of the few prominent British Chess Masters who have ever written their memoirs.

His were never published in book form but were serialised by BH Wood in CHESS in 1962-3, giving a remarkably interesting portrait of his turbulent life"

I assume SG was aware of the Arthur Hills publication and considered it not to be in "book form" but some other form.

Curiously SG does not refer to the AH publication.

Does anyone in this place have a copy of the AH publication? I assume it was privately printed and only a handful survive. Did it contain more than the CHESS serial? Is AH still with us?
I have a copy - A4 and Yellow! Don't have the Chess articles to compare. It does contain some games that I presume are not in the magazine articles.