Remembering Johannes Zukertort (07-ix-1842 20-vi-1888)

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Tim Harding

Re: Remembering Johannes Zukertort (07-ix-1842 20-vi-1888)

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Brilliant and important find by Jon D'Souza-Eva, thanks.
The link posted above by John is actually the page showing Hoffer (last name on the page) and the next page is headed by Zukertort.
So there is no doubt it's him, despite the wrong age and wrong country of birth.

Zukertort was born in Lublin in the region of Western Galicia which was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire but he probably said Russia because his parents were citizens of the KIngdom of Poland which was part of the Tsarist empire.
(In all this I am relying on Domanski and Lissowski's book which I have no reason to doubt. Tomasz Lissowski is the leading authority on Polish chess history.)

I am not doing any original research into Zukertort but I believe one of the other McFarland authors may be working on him.

I am no medic but I suspect that after the world championship match (maybe even during it) Zukertort started to suffer mini-strokes (TIAs ?) and this, rather than psychological collapse, accounts for his inferior performance in his late years.

And, referring back to an earlier post, yes 28 Qb4!! is one of my favourite chess moves ever, even though the victim was Blackburne,
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

John Townsend

Re: Remembering Johannes Zukertort (07-ix-1842 20-vi-1888)

Post by John Townsend » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:07 pm

Regarding Zukertort’s alleged two daughters, I see the website of the Polish Heritage Society names them as Iseln and Maud, but without giving any source.

Is someone able to tell us what the German edition of the Zukertort biography by Cezary W. Dománski and Tomasz Lissowski has to say about the two daughters?