Pub Quiz Question

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

Pub Quiz Question

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:37 pm

The following question was posed on a Facebook Pub Quiz forum:
Who was the cultural model for the queen in the game of chess, in its present power as a piece, as given to it in the late 15th century?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mick Norris

Re: Pub Quiz Question

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:36 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:36 pm

I think it is well established that modern chess historians fancy Isabella la Catolica/Isabella of Castile as the graven image of the chess queen.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:56 pm

I believe the chess queen with new powers was sometimes referred to as the 'mad queen'. Perhaps if people associated the piece with an actual queen it might have been wise to avoid this term.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:09 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:36 pm
I think it is well established that modern chess historians fancy Isabella la Catolica/Isabella of Castile as the graven image of the chess queen.
I agree but the question setter is saying not Isabella I of Castile.

I will report what he thinks is the correct answer.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:19 am

A more fitting model might have been Margaret of Anjou (1430-82), queen of England, well-known for her ferocious efforts on behalf of her ineffectual husband Henry VI. But I'd have said she was too far away from the epicentre of chess developments to have much influence (the new rules evolved in Italy and Spain).
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:10 am

I've suggested Queen Elizabeth I of England in an attempt to coax the question setter out of hiding.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:42 am

Pub quizzes (and even some TV quizzes) do tend to suffer from the problem that what the question setter thinks is a correct answer isn't.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Unless it appears on Mastermind or 15-1 perhaps.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:46 pm

"Unless it appears on Mastermind or 15-1 perhaps."

Sadly no, but admittedly not often.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:30 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
I always thought that as well, though there is something in Murray's History about when the Queen's
powers were increased some tried to call the 'new' piece an Amazon, but this never caught on.

At the same time some writers where advocating an Archer for a Bishop and the Rook was to be called a Cyclops.
(I feel we missed a chance here. Opposite coloured Archers!...and a Cyclops of the 7th sounds terrifying.)

I'm guessing that who ever set the pub quiz question probably has Queen Isabella of Spain as the answer
which although historically inaccurate is generally accepted as her title.
(out of curiosity I googled Columbus and she is referred to as ' Isabella I of Castile' then later as 'Queen Isabella,'
It is easy to see how a mistake in titling happened and 'Queen Isabella of Spain' made it's way into one of these 'Did You Know?' books)

So If you answer ' Isabella la Catolica' or 'Isabella of Castile' they might think this is a different person.
(I wonder how many people in the pub quiz did not know the answer and just wrote down 'Beth Harmon.' )

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:29 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:30 pm
Paul McKeown wrote:
'm guessing that who ever set the pub quiz question probably has Queen Isabella of Spain as the answer
which although historically inaccurate is generally accepted as her title.
(out of curiosity I googled Columbus and she is referred to as ' Isabella I of Castile' then later as 'Queen Isabella,'
It is easy to see how a mistake in titling happened and 'Queen Isabella of Spain' made it's way into one of these 'Did You Know?' books)

So If you answer ' Isabella la Catolica' or 'Isabella of Castile' they might think this is a different person.
Yes .... somewhere on this Forum (can't be bothered looking for it right now) there's an account of just this sort of incident involving a question about the gentleman variously known as Mustapha Kemal, Kemal Ataturk, or even simply Ataturk.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

ThomasEvans

Post by ThomasEvans » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:29 pm

In a pub quiz I once had the question "Vladimir Kramnik was a world champion in chess, and in which other game?" - the answer was given as Tiddlywinks. I never did find any citation to that claim.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:23 pm

The only other game he is noted as playing is Poker, I am sure it would have come out in due course had he been the world champion at that also.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:57 pm

The question appears to have been deleted without the setter revealing his answer.

I was looking forward to that!