Remembering Sir Stuart Milner-Barry KCVO CB OBE (20-ix-1906 25-iii-1995)

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:03 am

On the day that Alan Turing is mentioned elsewhere it seems appropriate to present a detailed remembrance of such a hugely significant figure in British chess, the British war effort and the British honours system.

An English gentleman personified.

I'd like to thank Richard James, Brian Stephenson, Gary Kenworthy and James Pratt for their help with this article.

Stuart-Milner-Barry-2.jpg
Sir Stuart Milner-Barry KCVO CB OBE (20-ix-1906 25-iii-1995)
Stuart-Milner-Barry-2.jpg (105.74 KiB) Viewed 598 times
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Remembering Sir Stuart Milner-Barry KCVO CB OBE (20-ix-1906 25-iii-1995)

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:04 pm

I first encountered him at a Civil Service match in the mid 70s. As I walked into the room, he was talking to Dr Henry R Calvert (Head of the Science Museum and member of Redhill Chess Club.) I gave them some space, but Dr Calvert beckoned me over and introduced me, saying that I did a lot of work for chess, Sir Stuart responded by shaking hands and saying, "It's a great honour to meet you." I was a bit stunned by this and managed to say something like the honour was all mine.

David Sedgwick

Re: Remembering Sir Stuart Milner-Barry KCVO CB OBE (20-ix-1906 25-iii-1995)

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:49 pm

He was of course a far more distinguished person that I could ever have become, but he played a minor part in my life story.
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:14 pm
The Curse of Sedgwick struck for the first time during Round 1 of the Lloyds Bank Masters 1990, shortly after the first time control. Although I was then a relatively young and inexperienced arbiter, I was the only member of the control team in the playing hall at what should have been a quiet time.

I successfully evacuated all but one of the people in the hall. The exception was the late Sir Stuart Milner Barry, who, to put it mildly, was rather deaf. I don't think he even heard the alarm, let alone my urging him to go outside. In the end I just had to leave him to it and monitor the situation, (By then I was 99% sure that there was no cause for concern.)