London Chess Association?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

London Chess Association?

Post by John Upham » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:55 pm

I have read of the London Chess Association more than once (I think?) but am more or less ignorant of it.

Is it the umbrella organisation of the London Chess League?

Can anyone provided a potted history?

I assume it is defunct.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul McKeown

Re: London Chess Association?

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:28 pm

1972, Stewart Reuben, of this parish. As reported in British Chess News, 20-03-2020?!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:04 pm

John Upham wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:55 pm
I assume it is defunct.
I believe the idea dates back to the early 1970s when the notion of an umbrella organisation for London based tournaments was mooted. The problem was that once VAT had been introduced, an umbrella organisation that became required to consolidate its accounts would have a turnover high enough to incur VAT on entry fees. It became apparent then, that there were disadvantages in the proposal.

As noted, Stewart R was involved.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:06 pm

From what I remember, having been a member at some point, it was an umbrella organisation designed to coordinate tournament dates, lists of financial defaulters and other undesirables etc.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:37 pm

For much of its existence the London Chess Association was the organising body for the Lloyds Bank Masters, which ran from 1977 to 1994.

Then it sought to reinvent itself in the way that Richard describes above. This was not particularly successful, mainly because not every London chess organisation was interested in cooperating with others.

Without any real role for the Association, its officers drifted away. I was one of the drifters.

It has been defunct since at least 2000.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:52 am

During part of the time I was on the SCCU executive I represented the SCCU on the London Chess Association and (as the body never met) this was a particularly easy task. I have a vague recollection of the LCA doing or being responsible for something in the last 10 years or so but the details escape me. Perhaps there is still one extant officer of this organisation out there, somewhere.