HG Wright

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Richard James

HG Wright

Post by Richard James » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:33 pm

I'm trying to discover more information about a player, or possibly two players, named HG Wright.

HG Wright of Leicester played in several tournaments between 1925 and 1929, also appearing occasionally in league and county matches. Another player with the same surname, G Wright of York, was also an active tournament player between those dates, on at least two occasions playing in the same event as HG Wright. Perhaps they were related. G Wright doesn't appear on Steve Mann's Yorkshire Chess History site.

HG Wright of Richmond, Surrey played at Southsea in 1949 and 1950. This may well be the same player, also playing at county level. It's quite possible he took a 20 year break from the game to concentrate on work and/or family.

Wright is a very common surname, and, at that time, there were any number of gents around named Harold or Harry, Henry or Herbert, many of whom had the middle initial G, often George. I can find no mention of a first name anywhere and no very obvious BMD records in Leicester, Richmond or even York.

Does anyone know for certain:

Were they the same player?
If so, what were his first names? If not, what were their first names?
Who was G Wright of York? Was he related? What was his first name?

I notice that HG Wright played Leonard Barden in 1949, although, given the result, Leonard won't want to be reminded. Perhaps he can remember something, though.

As a possible clue, there was another Leicester player at Scarborough in 1925: Roland Albert Wale (he also used the names Ronald and Ralph), who was a young man at the time, born on Christmas Day 1904. They played on top board for different clubs in the Leicestershire League, so would presumably have known each other: perhaps they were about the same age and travelled to Scarborough together.

On the other hand, there was an HG Wright from Durham playing correspondence chess in 1900. Any connection?

Gerard Killoran

Re: HG Wright

Post by Gerard Killoran » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:23 pm

H G Wright also competed at BCF London 1948

From Britbase:

Major C: 1st, C. S. Hunter; 2nd equal, R. F. Boxall, and H. G. Wright.

Also another clue from the Gloucestershire Echo - Thursday 09 September 1948

Local Player Loses 1 Game; Draws 1
CHESS CONGRESS
Mr. M. Benger, of the Grey House, Fairmount-road, Cheltenham, failed to win either of his two games yesterday at the British Chess Federation Congress in London. Concluding an adjourned game with Mr. R. F. Boxallj (Erith) he resigned after his I56th move, and then drew his afternoon match with Mr. H. G. Wright—Middlesex.