G.H.Selkirk and Captain Kennedy

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
ben.graff

G.H.Selkirk and Captain Kennedy

Post by ben.graff » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:40 am

I bought a copy of G.H.Selkirk's The Book of Chess a few weeks ago. It only cost me what a modern hardback would, so it is not valuable, but still a nice thing to have. George Selkirk dedicates his book to Captain Kennedy, "As a tribute of respect, for his many estimable qualities, and in recognition of his long-continued efforts to promote a wider knowledge of the Royal Game"

Published in 1868, G.H.Selkirk notes the impact of Paul Morphy's visit to the UK and Europe and praises "... the valuable though intermittent efforts of the British Chess Association"

I would be intrigued if anyone knew more about G.H. Selkirk, Captain Kennedy or the form the British Chess Association's early actions took?

Just in passing, I couldn't help but reflect that every era is perhaps destined to seem more hectic to those who live through it, than all that have gone before. Selkirk writes at one point: "The present age, we are often told, is an age of hurry and bustle; men now-a-days have no time to spare, even in their recreations."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Brian Denman

Re: G.H.Selkirk and Captain Kennedy

Post by Brian Denman » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:17 am

Ben Graff, I would have thought that your book was valuable as I have never heard of it and it is about 150 years old. There is a book on the history of chess in Bristol by Burt and the local chess club at one time published it on their website. The club could probably tell you how to access it. Selkirk was a local player, but Capt. Kennedy was famous throughout the country. Kennedy founded the Brighton CC in 1842 and was its president till 1853. In that time he took part in the London International Tournament of 1851. He moved to Bath in about 1853 and became a prominent organiser in the Bristol area. I have three of Selkirk's games and about three hundred played by Kennedy.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am

I presume Captain Kennedy is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Alexander_Kennedy

Couple of bits about Selkirk and early British chess associations here (I think that is the history of Bristol chess that Brian mentioned above):

http://www.chessit.co.uk/Centenary/Hist ... book1.html

Others will be able to point you to more.

I note from that link to the history of Bristol Chess Club that the 'H' in G.H. Selkirk is Hornsby. I wonder what the G stands for?

From what I've heard and read, the origins of the BCA and its predecessor and successor organisations is a bit complicated.

Some information is here:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/100-yea ... ederation/
http://mannchess.org.uk/Organisations/BCA.htm

I think what is on sale here is a reprint of the BCA Transactions around the time of the book you have:

https://www.chessdirect.co.uk/acatalog/ ... o9372.html

(Bit cheeky calling a 2001 reprint a 'collector's item'! But maybe it is one of these lovingly reprinted in leatherbound hardback things, but I would guess not from the lack of a proper photo.)

Did you get your copy of your 1868 book from an internet auction/book site or a 2nd hand bookshop (presumably online)? To add to what Brian Denman said about price, I would agree with him. I had a quick look on Abe Books (other rare book sites available) and actual first edition books from that era are selling at around £150 (once you get past the reprint dross). Though the condition of your copy is poor, so maybe only £50 or so, depends how rare it is.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:55 am

That looks a good find!

I was at an antiques fair a few years ago and one dealer had a small collection of chess books, including a first edition book by Bird on openings, which I got for £40. I thought this was good value especially as it seemed to be signed by the author (even though there were no 1.P-KB4 in it!)

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks everyone. Some really interesting links and information. Fascinating stuff. My copy certainly looks and smells old. Christopher is right though, the condition isn't brilliant, part of the spine is missing and that might be what made it so cheap. Equally though, it could well not quite be what I thought it was. It's a nice thing to have though, either way. Kevin's example is an interesting one, you just never know what you might find if you keep your eyes peeled. You definitely got a bargain there Kevin!

G.E.Selkirk's reflections on chess players made me smile. At one point he writes: "So far from Chess-players being unsocial, I think all who are capable of forming a correct judgement will agree with me that no other class is there in which, taken altogether, a more kindly disposition is shown towards each other... Chess-players are of a very social disposition, and, even while engaged in play, can enter into and enjoy the pleasures of conversation as well as other people."
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Ben, if you bought it for the price of a modern hardback, you have got a bargain - apart from it being a nice book, anyway. Good copies sell for between £50 and £100 depending on condition. A copy with the top part of the spine missing recently sold on EBay for £25 - even in that state, I would expect it to make £50.

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Thanks John, yes that's the actual copy I bought. I hadn't really used EBay much before, but they do seem to have some interesting older chess books on sale from time to time.
Ben Graff

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Ancestry.com has
Name
Geo. Hornsby Selkirk
Birth
04/08/1837 (4 Aug 1837)
Baptism
01/09/1837 (1 Sep 1837) Hanover Square Chapel-NC,Newcastle Upon Tyne,Northumberland,England

Name
George Hornsby Selkirk
Birth
abt 1838
Marriage
15/02/1862 (15 Feb 1862) Bristol, Gloucestershire, England

and

George Hornsby Selkirk
Spouse
Catherine Brittan
Father
John Selkirk
Marriage
15/02/1862 (15 Feb 1862) Bristol, Holy Trinity St Philip, Gloucestershire, England
Residence
15 Feb 1862 Bristol, Holy Trinity St Philip, Gloucestershire