Quiz Question
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:46 pm
Which British player (who had a grandmaster title) shared a part time occupation with the fictional character William Hodges during the second world war?
The independent home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
https://ecforum.org.uk/
Gerard, You are about as close as it gets without being correct.Gerard Killoran wrote: ↑Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:20 pmMy guess is that Comins Mansfield was an ARP warden.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... 3/data.pdfJohn Upham wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 pm
If anyone knows the year of the MBE award I would be most grateful. Was it New Years honours or Queen's Birthday honours ?
For which he will of course have to pay for both, but Geoff is an old enough dog to know that.John Upham wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 pmGeoff wins the star prize of a night out with Ray Keene at Simpson's-in-the-Strand including an all you can eat buffet meal.
I hope I haven't won second prize - two nights out with Ray Keene.NickFaulks wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:14 pmFor which he will of course have to pay for both, but Geoff is an old enough dog to know that.John Upham wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 pmGeoff wins the star prize of a night out with Ray Keene at Simpson's-in-the-Strand including an all you can eat buffet meal.
I was about to pass on the bad news...Gerard Killoran wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:49 pmI hope I haven't won second prize - two nights out with Ray Keene.NickFaulks wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:14 pmFor which he will of course have to pay for both, but Geoff is an old enough dog to know that.John Upham wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 pmGeoff wins the star prize of a night out with Ray Keene at Simpson's-in-the-Strand including an all you can eat buffet meal.