Who was L. Alexander?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Paul McKeown

Re: Who was L. Alexander?

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:17 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:33 pm
Could "Captain O. Range" actually be Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, going incognito (hiding in plain sight)?
Wow! The likeness is striking. I never heard that Prins Bernhard was a chess player, maar je weet maar nooit!

I shall have to ask...

UPDATE: My Dutch friends don't believe the photograph is that of Prins Bernhard.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:09 pm

Thank you for asking, Paul. I too had retreated from my initial theory, but it would still be good to find out who this person is! Would you concur (or anyone else reading along) that Lt. O. Range and Capt. O. Range are probably the same person, and that (somehow) finding out who was promoted from Lt. to Capt. in 1943 or 1944 would help? That and the known dates they were playing chess in London must narrow it considerably.

In trying to find out how many soldiers there were in the Royal Netherlands Brigade, I read that there was a fair amount of movement in and out of it (e.g. to commando units). Apparently, "the unit never totalled more than about 2,000 men at one time with a total of around 3,000 serving" (from the Wikipedia article).

How many Lieutenants and Captains would you expect for that number?

We really need a new thread titled: "Who was O. Range?"...

There is the possibility that he saw active service in Normandy, where some from this formation were killed during the fighting. You would have thought if that happened that news would have filtered back to the chess club in London that was centred on the Netherlands Brigade.

EDIT: It is, of course, possible that "O. Range" is not in fact Dutch, but another nationality and enlisted in the R.N.B. for some reason, a desire to fight for the "Free Dutch" in the same way that people who were not French fought for the "Free French" forces. He might also have been part of the pre-war London-resident Dutch population. It is still not clear, though, why his identity needed to be hidden. If he was not Dutch, the answer might lie in similar reasons for why Tartakower used a different name (see the suggestion by John Saunders relating to a need to avoid repercussions for relatives living in the occupied countries).

David Mabbs

Post by David Mabbs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:07 pm

I've also wondered who L. Alexander was, because he was the guy that I defeated in perhaps my most spectacular game ever - there has to be one such game, for all of us. And, like others, I had never heard of him either before or since. It's nice to know, from the posted responses, that he had a very good pedigree. Evidently when I played him, it must have been towards the end of his career ? The game D J Mabbs-L. Alexander appears on several chess databases. There was speculation, latterly, that it dated from 1970, but the truth is that it was played in 1960, in the London League, for Cedars Chess Club against (I am pretty sure it was) Athenaeum.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 pm

Here's David's win against L Alexander, with some comments from a contemporary CHESS, updated by me...

Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:04 pm

Richard James wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 am
After a bit of detective work, I now have a possible answer to Gerard's original question. It's a long story so please bear with me.

[...}

So my best guess is that this might have been the boy who grew up to be Laurie Alexander.

Birth: 12 Jun 1900 Soho, London
Name at birth: Laurence Alexander Foreman (at some point between 1901 and 1911 Alexander would become his surname)
Mother (probable): Eleanor Louisa Moret
Father: unknown (possibly Foreman, or possibly something like Bogalooski)
Married (1): Adriana C Jacobson 1927
Married (2): Elsie Constance May Upton 1940
Died: 18 Aug 1991, Brent, London

I can find no children from either marriage.
I'm convinced, but can his age be reconciled with...

Middlesex County Times - Saturday 14 September 1946 p.6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:19 am

LAlexander1921.jpg
Here he is in the 1921 census at 38 Fentiman Road, South Lambeth.

The age in Gerard's cutting must be incorrect, as ages often are in local newspapers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.