James Macrae Aitken and the good news is...

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Neil Blackburn

Re: James Macrae Aitken and the good news is...

Post by Neil Blackburn » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:32 pm

John Upham wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:37 pm
It was an excellent documentary called "Breaking the Codes".

https://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Breaking_the_Codes

The person talking about Dr. Aitken was Arthur Levenson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Levenson
Levenson was an amazing man in his own right

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 pm

Hi All,

I may have mentioned before that amongst the Aitken papers, (A boxed treasure trove of chess history and paraphernalia. )
there appears to be a letter forbidding Aitken to publish a book about Bletchley Park.
No other details on hand as I've not seen it, my interest is in the score books....

..speaking of which: 'Thanks John for telling everyone I misread Mortlock with Matlock; :)

(probably thinking not Morlock, those where the sub-humans in 'The Time Machine.' must be Matlock - The Detective.)

Whilst here. Thank You everyone who are finding these wee niggles. It's really appreciated.
I get a wee bit disappointed if I miss something but very happy in the knowledge others are looking
over my shoulder. Do not hesitate if you think there is something wrong or think you can add something.

I have the better end of the deal (Aitken's handwriting accepted) I get the pleasure of playing over the games,
John has to do the spade work for the details. Sometimes Aitken fills it in, other times all we have is the date and Bd.3.(?)
These lack of location and event details games I think he entered into the book whilst playing the game.

The only slightly annoying thing is when he was entering the game from score-sheet into the books I think he may
have been using a Staunton Set (or marked the King's Rook and Knight in another way) sometimes deep into an open
board Rook ending with both Rooks being able to reach the same square he will write in descriptive 60.KR-B7.

I then have to flick back through the game (easily done) to find out which Rook was which.
If I ever come to an under promoted three Rooks for one side ending then I'll jump off a bridge.
( mental note - has there ever been such a thing a serious game.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:19 pm

"( mental note - has there ever been such a thing a serious game.)"

Yes - in one of my games at Hastings, my opponent played on with R+5ish pawns vs 2R+5ish pawns, for some time, so I promoted to a rook and he resigned immediately. I suspect he didn't want to answer question from spectators about why he was facing 3 rooks.

You're right to appreciate people pointing out errors. In my 40+ years of science, everybody had what they were doing checked by someone else, because publishing a mistake (or charging someone money for it!) is much worse than someone saying, "this is wrong".

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:38 pm

Hi Kevin,

I seen Bishops and Rooks chosen as they are usually doomed on the next move
but never seen three Rooks go active, though there must be one out there somewhere.

Recall Ray Keene once under promoted to a Bishop just to see who would get it right if the game was published.
I think it was in the BCM and they had the under promotion to a Bishop.

Ray also writes:

"....having two dark squared bishops in a rat defence appealed to my sense of humour."

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1071383
(who originally had the colours mixed up. See what happens when you under promote!)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:13 pm

I have now found the game, played in 1979, it was actually RRBB+5P vs RB+5P. He probably didn't want to lose in under 30 moves.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:38 pm
Recall Ray Keene once under promoted to a Bishop just to see who would get it right if the game was published.
Specifically
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi Kevin, (Edit: and Justin - yes that is the one.)

The game I linked to above was in the 9174 Olympiad v Yanofsky

Ray played 48...a1=B

full games

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:51 pm

I did find this.

Grigory Serper - Catalin Navrotescu, Oakham Young Masters (1988), Oakham ENG, rd 4, Mar-31

Black played 46...g1-R. Not showing off as 46...g1=Q 47 Rh7+ Kxh7 48. Re7+ will draw.
But White resigned. Was hoping to find a serious game with one player having 3 Rooks for more moves.
(good example for the kids that one. 'Pause Before Promoting.')

Aitken games now over 1,000 - and I'm having a day off. And when it's over....no peace for me, one of my neighbours is called Aitken!)