1989 British Championship now on BritBase

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: 1989 British Championship now on BritBase

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Looks like I actually misled you, John, sorry about that! Well, maybe it was one of the Wheelers who beat Adams in the last round of the U14 then, thus enabling a Rossiter win. Some last round calamity, anyway.

David McAlister

Post by David McAlister » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:36 pm

I'm much obliged to David, Jon & Nick for helping me with this game. I shall make the name change forthwith - thanks for that, David.
John, delighted to be of help. Regarding 1989 for the two Ulster Chess Union players I have all 11 of David Houston's games (to improve from your 4, I think). Those games include his Round 2 match-up with his UCU colleague, James Stewart. I use "James" advisedly because for a period of 3 years in the 1980s we were clubmates at Fisherwick Chess Club in Belfast. I don't ever recall him being referred to as "Davidson".

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:46 pm

My success with the Smyth scoresheet got me searching for the more successful swindle against the late John Naylor (mentioned in the obit thread).

Alas, no show. The game really must have been so bad that I tore the scoresheet up.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:26 pm

I've since been informed (by someone else who was playing in the event) that it was Ben Beake who beat Mickey Adams in the last round of the 1983 British U14 Championship, enabling Philip Rossiter to overtake him.

David - thank you for helping me with the names 'Stewart Davidson' or 'Davidson Stewart' - which turned out to be James Stewart. Very curious how some names become garbled in the sources, and I'm grateful to you for 'ungarbling' them. And I shall look forward to receiving the extra games for David Houston.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

David McAlister

Post by David McAlister » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:52 am

And I shall look forward to receiving the extra games for David Houston.
Sorry, John, help required! - I couldn't work out how to send a private message on here (is there a FAQ somewhere?) and I couldn't find an e-mail address on Britbase.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:13 pm

David McAlister wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:52 am
And I shall look forward to receiving the extra games for David Houston.
Sorry, John, help required! - I couldn't work out how to send a private message on here (is there a FAQ somewhere?) and I couldn't find an e-mail address on Britbase.
David,

If you find your way to my contact page, there is a link there to send me an email.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:21 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:26 pm
I've since been informed (by someone else who was playing in the event) that it was Ben Beake who beat Mickey Adams in the last round of the 1983 British U14 Championship, enabling Philip Rossiter to overtake him.

Beake indeed, another player who has vanished. He also beat Adams two weeks later, in round six at the SCCU (Lloyds Bank) U-14 rapidplay, contested fiercely in those days, and pipped him to first place overall after Adams had another last round reverse (this time to Hennigan). This time, I was playing and so am quite sure of myself ...! and I remember now the talk of Beake beating Adams twice that summer. (Beating Adams was already an event, never mind that Beake was two years older).