Harry Golombek games

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
NickFaulks

Re: Harry Golombek games

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:20 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:29 pm
Well, you learn something new every day!
I'm enjoying this. I have always despised Philips screws, and assumed it was because they were Dutch ( and they don't work ). Now I have a better reason.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:57 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:20 pm
Graham Borrowdale wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:29 pm
Well, you learn something new every day!
I'm enjoying this. I have always despised Philips screws, and assumed it was because they were Dutch ( and they don't work ). Now I have a better reason.
"The Phillips screw drive (specified as an ANSI Type I Cross Recess[10]) was created by John P. Thompson, who, after failing to interest manufacturers, sold his design to businessman Henry F. Phillips.[11][12] Phillips is credited with forming a company (Phillips Screw Company), improving the design, and promoting the adoption of his product.[11] The original patent[13] expired in 1966, but the Phillips Screw Company continued to develop improved designs.[11]"
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:36 pm

The Phillips Screw Company is obviously not to be confused with the multi-national Philips (single l) which has headquarters in the Netherlands.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:50 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:36 pm
The Phillips Screw Company is obviously not to be confused with the multi-national Philips (single l) which has headquarters in the Netherlands.
I discovered that truth around 30 years ago. When I previously lived in Holland ( and was in fact a market maker in Philips options ) my Dutch friends insisted that they were responsible for "Philips screws", which they regarded as a seditious undermining of Western civilisation. It fooled me then, and I think they believed it themselves.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:02 pm

That is a relief, your previous post gave a rather different impression. I was getting worried that you were making a lot of basic errors in your posts and might need a break :)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:44 pm

John Upham wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 pm
It is well known that Rolls Royce and Bentley were meticulous in their screw alignment.
Not sure how you ensure your screw-heads are aligned to a particular pattern. You screw them in till they're tight; beyond that you cannot go, and if you turn them back a little they're going to be too loose (and admit water, if outdoors).

As well as the slot-head and Phillips screw, there's that third type, with the square hole, sometimes called the "Robertson". Naturally, these would have to be orientated like chessboard squares. Interesting little tale here about how they may have indirectly given the Phillips a boost.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:49 am

Not sure how this topic has deviated on to Phillips screws but I hear Golombek won the British Chess Championships in 1947, 1949 and 1955.
When did he become an IM and GM?
Is it true Harry Golombek received an OBE?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:20 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:49 am
When did he become an IM and GM?
He got his IM title as part of the original award by FIDE of titles to established players in the early 1950s and the GM title as an honorary award in the 1980s.

OBE in 1966 apparently.

wiki biography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Golombek

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:26 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:49 am
Harry became an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), Civil division in the 1966 Birthday (rather than New Years) Honours list.

The citation read simply :

Harry Golombek. For services to Chess.

(rather than more accurately, services to chess and cryptography.

It is not unreasonable to suppose that awards for chess were delayed awards for work at Bletchley Park for which awards were not made.

Even in the 1960s many civil servants thought that the work should not be commemorated. Had Tommy Flowers played chess at international level he may also, have received such an award.

Fortunately for the chess players PS Milner-Barry was in the right place and at the right time to make sure that the chess players were not forgotten.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Harry was the first person to receive the OBE simply for serices to chess.
I have no doubt this was due tO the inflence of Sir Stuart Milner-Barry who was, at one time, secretary of the Honours Commission. Others followed.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:06 am

I didn't realise Harry was the first person.
Very much deserved.
A true giant of British Chess.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:15 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:06 am
I didn't realise Harry was the first person.
Very much deserved.
A true giant of British Chess.

In 1966 Harry became an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), Civil division awarded in the 1966 Birthday (rather than New Years) Honours list.

The citation read simply :

Harry Golombek. For services to Chess : He was the first UK player to be so honoured.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:23 pm

A couple of interesting pictures was posted 17th January on the Cumbria Chess Association website.
It features pictures of Harry Golombek playing a simultaneous around 1960 at Bowness Hydro Hotel.
It was hosted by Windermere Chess Club.
Harry Won 49, Drew 2 and Lost 1.
www.cumbriachess.com