Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 25, 2025 4:21 am

From what I can gather, GM Miles appears to have had the misfortune of being defeated by queen sacrifices more than any other English GM. I thought it was only GM Plaskett who pulled that off against him but I was wrong, Kasparov and Georgiev also did. Did anyone else defeat him with a queen sacrifice and is this a record for an English GM in terms of such defeats?

GM Plaskett

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1097818

GM Kasparov

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070182

GM Georgiev

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1098271

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 25, 2025 6:48 am

This is likely a function of how frequently they play, yesno? The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 25, 2025 7:03 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑
Sun May 25, 2025 6:48 am
This is likely a function of how frequently they play, yesno? The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.
Are such games recorded or noteable even? I can't find any involving either of them.

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 25, 2025 9:34 am

Here's one:

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 25, 2025 4:58 pm

Well played

Andrew Martin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by Andrew Martin » Wed May 28, 2025 7:40 pm

Although I was on the receiving end,I always felt this was a great game by Jon:


https://zh.chesstempo.com/game-database ... in/2750211

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10981
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed May 28, 2025 8:56 pm

Andrew Martin wrote: ↑
Wed May 28, 2025 7:40 pm
Although I was on the receiving end,I always felt this was a great game by Jon:


https://zh.chesstempo.com/game-database ... in/2750211
That is very impressive, and a genuine long-term queen sacrifice. Why the Chinese-language (zh) domain of chesstempo though?

Jon S Speelman (2575) - Andrew D Martin (2300) 1-0
BCF-ch (Torquay) [6] 1982.8.??


User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by MJMcCready » Wed May 28, 2025 11:15 pm

Over twenty moves heavily down on material, no wonder he went on to become 3rd in the world.

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3827
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu May 29, 2025 2:57 am

Jack posted; 'The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.'
MJMcCready replied; 'I can't find any involving either of them.'

If the banner had been 'Queen Sacrifices Against English Players' we could include Keith Arkell vs Susan Caldwell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2281564 and Sheila Jackson vs Keith Arkell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1538664

Back to Englishmen and this is a good one. Gary Lane vs Keith Arkell, Paignton Open, 1988.


User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by MJMcCready » Thu May 29, 2025 2:03 pm

Fair point. I took an interest because I assumed that Queen sacrifices are the least commonly played sacrifices although having said that you don't see rook sacrifices very often either.

Keith Arkell
Posts: 1096
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:28 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote: ↑
Thu May 29, 2025 2:57 am
Jack posted; 'The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.'
MJMcCready replied; 'I can't find any involving either of them.'

If the banner had been 'Queen Sacrifices Against English Players' we could include Keith Arkell vs Susan Caldwell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2281564 and Sheila Jackson vs Keith Arkell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1538664

Back to Englishmen and this is a good one. Gary Lane vs Keith Arkell, Paignton Open, 1988.

I'd forgotten I'd played Susan Caldwell before. We played once again in February this year, at the Cheadle Open. It can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.

Richard James
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by Richard James » Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:47 pm

Keith Arkell wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:28 pm
It can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.
Nick Faulks and I can beat that by four years: our first encounter was in 1975 and our second in 2023. Neither game involved a queen sacrifice, though.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 4284
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:51 pm

Keith Arkell wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:28 pm
I'd forgotten I'd played Susan Caldwell before. We played once again in February this year, at the Cheadle Open. It can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.
Probably not, but it's not a record. I played Dave Hackett for the first time on 16 December 1978, at the Islington Intermediate, and for the second time on the 22 February 2025 in the Chiltern League - 46 years, 83 days later. That beat my previous record of playing Neil Bradbury for the first time on 27 April 1979, at the SCCU U18 championship, and for the second time on 7 May 2023 at the English O50 championship - 44 years, 10 days later.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 04, 2025 4:08 pm

I'm sure even 46 years is quite beatable.....
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Richard James
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Post by Richard James » Wed Jun 04, 2025 4:10 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 04, 2025 4:08 pm
I'm sure even 46 years is quite beatable.....
48 years by Nick Faulks and myself: see my post above.

Post Reply