Rules regarding simuls published in The Daily Telepgraph

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
MJMcCready

Rules regarding simuls published in The Daily Telepgraph

Post by MJMcCready » Wed May 01, 2024 1:07 pm

Hi there, could someone enlighten me on what is being referred to in the column below regarding the Newspaper Article and adjudged changes? Does anyone have the aforementioned article?

The column posted below was written on September 25th 1986, so the year is question would have been 1972.

Many thanks for any assistance given.
image-4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Rules regarding simuls published in The Daily Telepgraph

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 01, 2024 3:08 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:07 pm
Hi there, could someone enlighten me on what is being referred to in the column below regarding the Newspaper Article and adjudged changes?
Some simul givers had a rule whereby their move was incomplete until they had played a move on the next move. In other words touch move didn't apply to them and they had a blunder check opportunity whilst looking at the next game.

Some simuls, particularly where Soviet masters took on British juniors had a high profile.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed May 01, 2024 7:06 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:08 pm
MJMcCready wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:07 pm
Hi there, could someone enlighten me on what is being referred to in the column below regarding the Newspaper Article and adjudged changes?
Some simul givers had a rule whereby their move was incomplete until they had played a move on the next move. In other words touch move didn't apply to them and they had a blunder check opportunity whilst looking at the next game.

Some simuls, particularly where Soviet masters took on British juniors had a high profile.
Do you remember the article he is referring to? So what you are saying is that previously there was no touch move but they changed that?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 02, 2024 12:06 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:06 pm
So what you are saying is that previously there was no touch move but they changed that?
Not at all. There aren't really any codified standard rules for Simuls. Organisers and simul givers make it up as they go along.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu May 02, 2024 1:27 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:06 am
MJMcCready wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:06 pm
So what you are saying is that previously there was no touch move but they changed that?
Not at all. There aren't really any codified standard rules for Simuls. Organisers and simul givers make it up as they go along.
That's more or less what I thought hence the reason why I asked. I will try to find the aforementioned article and see what they are actually talking about.