ECF Director of Home Chess

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Philpott

Re: ECF Director of Home Chess

Post by John Philpott » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote
In the past members of the ECF board (and managers...) have been given "gag orders" and actually restricted from posting messages onto this forum, I know this for a fact!
I cannot speak for anybody else, but nobody has ever attempted to gag me, and if anyone had tried I suspect that after hearing my response they would be most unlikely to repeat the experiment!

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:28 pm

I certainly would not like ECF Staff to be involved in any form of moderation.
Carl Hibbard said
No, clearly I would decline this kind offer and not accept the "official" status under this scenario - however the question is probably academic given the light this forum is now seen under
I think that the best scenario might be that this forum stays independent. This would leave all the modulation to Carl and Jack who in my view do an excellent job, keeping debates clean so to speak but ensuring that they stay just that - debates. However, I do think that the ECF should acknowledge the forum as a positive thing, albeit not necessarily always expressing ECF views, and give it a very prominent link on the ECF website. The sort of link I have in mind is like the big logo they used to have on the home page to link into the grading database. I found that grading link very time saving and would also like to make a plea for it's return.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:49 pm

I think Adam is the best candidate for the role (I don't know any of the others but I know Adam and would vote for him anyway). It would be great if we could also get CJ as President. Maybe then Chess would start to get some publicity and a more positive image.
I think that the ECF website should prominently display a link to this forum. Even if it is not entirely endorsed by the ECF as it's official forum it should be portrayed as the voice of the ECF membership and general chess playing public in England.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:53 am

Greg Breed wrote:I think that the ECF website should prominently display a link to this forum. Even if it is not entirely endorsed by the ECF as it's official forum it should be portrayed as the voice of the ECF membership and general chess playing public in England.
It's going to be hard work for the ECF if they continue to ignore "us" as more and more Google type searches will be directing people to here rather than the main site :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard