Why we should vote for Nigel Short

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Why we should vote for Nigel Short

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:23 pm

Martin Regan wrote: the board discussed FIDE matters perhaps once or twice, for no more than a few minutes – the post is a long, long way from being vital to ECF performance.
Given the damage that ill-considered rule changes by FIDE could do to British or English chess, I for one would hope that the ECF board paid FIDE matters rather more attention.

I've never really understood why the ECF didn't put out a statement following Dresden expressing an opinion regarding zero default times or on the restrictions to move rates for title purposes.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I've never really understood why the ECF didn't put out a statement following Dresden expressing an opinion regarding zero default times or on the restrictions to move rates for title purposes.
The ECF did exactly what you might expect them to do, based on past performance. They came up with an excellent rule to make zero default times a rarity in England (and also Scotland and Wales, whose federations worked with the ECF on this), and then failed to make a prominent announcement about it.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Gerrys time is up,he represents the old guard, time for change vote for NIgel Short. (and CJ for President)

Ernie Lazenby
President Cleveland Chess Association.
I think far more important is the role of CEO since Chris Majer was "undecided" about standing?

I presume he was waiting for CFS news (if there is any...) but the work he does is far more important than the other two
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Chris did say some time ago he would fall on his sword if the CFS project failed.
I am not so sure if will fail but clearly there has been yet another delay :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 pm

I think far more important is the role of CEO since Chris Majer was "undecided" about standing?

I presume he was waiting for CFS news (if there is any...) but the work he does is far more important than the other two

It seems to me that Chris Majer does an amazing job. Andrew Farthing was clearly very impressed when he covered for him for a few days recently (reported in another post). So I think it would be a shame if he didn't stand because of delays in the CFS initiative. I daresay something will come through eventually and in the current economic climate schools will understand that a change of ownership of Holloid would slow things down.

It would be excellent to have someone with the standing, in England and the general chess world, of Nigel Short as the FIDE representative.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:22 pm

This all sounds quite encouraging... I`d like to see Martin Regan take a Non Exec Director role on the ECF if he hasn`t got the time or inclination for other involvement....the more who are able to positively influence things at ECF board level, the better.
If Gerry Walsh does remain on the board as FIDE delegate that might be good...and presumably give the board and chess community more opportunity to chase up other matters..ie, those relating to Finance & also matters relating to ECF/BCF trustees.
Surely the best interests of chess players would be best served if the monies mentioned elsewhere could be freed up for useful chess initiatives....rather than simply locked up doing nothing.
I`d also like to see greater cohesion in British/UK chess scene....money used more wisely re the International scene...and a stronger brand platform from which better Marketing/PR opportunities might come.
A stronger sense of internal unity might be helpful, with Unions, county bodies, etc able to function more effectively.
Congress chess also seems to be languishing and could probably attract better support with better PR/Marketing .
BRING BACK THE BCF

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:25 am

I was not sure about some of the things that are written here, so I thought I would get some impartial advice from my friend Alsop
M "Alsop, who should I support as FIDE delegate?"
A "Well, you have to remember that the Short once described the Walsh as a Tub of Lard, he is quite a cheek monkey"
M "So, I should support the Walsh?"
A "The Walsh is obstinent, work-shy and muleish. Tis better to have a cheeky monkey than a Silly Ass"
M "So, I should support the Short?"
A "Once the Monkey's Paw is on the job this can turn out to be a 'Short horror story'"
M "Now I'm more confused than ever!"
A "I'm afraid I cannot help you any further, perhaps the wise old owl can help you with your dilemma?"
M "Owl, you are so wise, who should we elect as FIDE Delegate?
Owl "A twit to woo"

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:12 pm

M "Owl, you are so wise, who should we elect as FIDE Delegate?
Owl "A twit to woo"

Surely you were talking to two owls? The female says "Twit" and the male says "to-woo" - it's owl for "yes dear".
Double the owls - double the wisdom...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:25 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote: Surely you were talking to two owls? The female says "Twit" and the male says "to-woo" - it's owl for "yes dear".
You watch QI too, huh? :)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:36 pm

"You watch QI too, huh?"

yes - but I did have it confirmed when I visited a falconry centre...

I'm sure any owl would recommend voting for Nigel.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:29 am

See the latest ChessBase article here:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5736

Although the sarcasm is still there:

You are standing for the post of FIDE Delegate in the forthcoming ECF elections. What made you decide to enter chess politics, and what are your intentions in case you win?

If elected, I intend to uphold the fine English traditions of secrecy, uncommunicativeness, obduracy, ignorance and utter contempt for the interests of those whose livelihoods I will affect by my vote. And I shall exhibit a gargantuan appetite for junketting – my raison d'etre. As to why I have decided to enter chess politics: suffice it say that I am not entirely satisfied that the interests of English Chess are best represented by our current Delegate.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:08 am

"And I shall exhibit a gargantuan appetite for junketting – my raison d'etre"

Many a true word is spoken in jest?

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:18 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:See the latest ChessBase article here:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5736

Although the sarcasm is still there:

You are standing for the post of FIDE Delegate in the forthcoming ECF elections. What made you decide to enter chess politics, and what are your intentions in case you win?

If elected, I intend to uphold the fine English traditions of secrecy, uncommunicativeness, obduracy, ignorance and utter contempt for the interests of those whose livelihoods I will affect by my vote. And I shall exhibit a gargantuan appetite for junketting – my raison d'etre. As to why I have decided to enter chess politics: suffice it say that I am not entirely satisfied that the interests of English Chess are best represented by our current Delegate.
Anyone who puts the word "utter" in front of the word "contempt" has my vote. :D

Although I don't actually have a vote. :oops:
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:03 am

I would have thought players need a delegate who engages in 2 way communication. I hope the next delegate does that

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:27 pm

I spoke with Nigel yesterday and I'm anticipating a completed election address will be published on this forum.

I think you will find it a very positive and welcome address. I sent Nigel a 2009 ECF yearbook (ordered directly via the ECF shop!) so that he may contact various persons prior to the election.

I'm hoping that we can publish the other new candidates addresses here well in advance of the meeting.

I am keen to increase the transparency of the whole AGM process : persons using lumps of proxy votes to persue their personal mandates is simply not acceptable.

I want to know for each card vote who voted for what : is this so unreasonable?

I repeat that YOUR task is to talk with your ECF delegate and impress on them your strength of feeling. We cannot have yet another year of no progress.

Here is a suitable theme tune to associate with this task : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IXa2pNGVj8 :lol:

Keep humming this whilst you seek out your delegate!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D