ECF Tournament Rules

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul McKeown

Re: ECF Tournament Rules

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 pm

That is true, Michael, and is a potential get out of goal card for an arbiter, where the organisation he or she is working for has been caught out by this.

Another get out of goal card is the expectation of general sporting conduct, respect for the game and its officials, and the wish to play chess amongst players.

However, it still leaves the arbiter in an unenviable position, where he or she expected the ECF's statement to remain in place, whilst faced with an irate competitor or possibly a pair of them. One demands to be excused, the other demands the point.

And it certainly does not excuse the apparent lack of consultation or communication by the ECF.

A tournament organiser has expectations of consistent action in lawgiving and standards setting by both FIDE and the ECF. And a tournament organiser is legally responsible for the fair and correct running of his or her events, and could potentially face legal action should someone be denied a prize that they expected based on the fair and correct running of an event. Having an unstable leg in this construction is concerning.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:07 pm
I expect that the arbiter would consult with the organiser to determine what he had intended.
Or for that matter apply recommended UK practice as documented by the CAA.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:22 am

Nonsense. There are only certain sources of law in chess. The CAA is not such an authority, although based on this farce, it can certainly be relied on not to mess things up, unlike the ECF.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm
Roger, in the absence of anything sensible to contribute, your silence might be to general advantage.
A bit harsh this one.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:32 am

Brian Towers wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:23 pm
No, you are not mistaken. I printed out the page at the time (actually just over 4 pages) and added it to my arbiting loose leaf folder along with the FIDE Laws of Chess and other league stuff. If it will help your sanity I can scan it in and post.

The relevant part was as follows
English Chess Federation Tournament Rules dated 1st September, 2016 wrote:Section A: Regulations applying to all events

1) The organizer will state a time control within the limits specified by Appendix A1 of the Laws of Chess

2) Unless the organizer specifies otherwise on the entry form, the Default time under Law 6.7 shall be 30 minutes for a Standard-play game and 10 minutes for a Rapidplay game.
And now I notice that the missing regulations have silently been restored on the ECF website a year later - https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-tournament-rules/.

Thank you, Adrian, for I assume it was you, who made this sensible decision.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:24 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:32 am
And whose name is misspelt at the end!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:53 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:24 am
Paul McKeown wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:32 am
And whose name is misspelt at the end!
At least there's no confusion over who is Director of Home Chess :roll: