ECF officers

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alex Holowczak

Re: ECF officers

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:36 pm

benedgell wrote:Slightly off topic here, but the ECF have confirmed my appointment as Publicity Officer :D Pretty certain I've listed my contact details on page 3 of this thread, and if anyone's got any suggestions for how to get some publicity for chess (aside from getting one of our top players to turn up for a game inebriated :wink: ) I'd be delighted to hear it.
Your appointment? Congratulations. :)

How about getting local league results/tables in local newspapers? Or is that in the domain of each league?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:21 pm

John Philpott wrote: John Upham wrote
We must find out who the carriers of the largest blocks of proxy votes are.
This will, of course, vary from meeting to meeting depending upon who is actually attending. I posted information on proxies on this Forum from last year's AGM, which somebody may be able to turn up. My recollection is that easily the most significant number of proxy votes was held by John Turnock, and that Gerry Walsh had a negligible number of undirected proxies (directed proxies are technically given to the Chairman of the meeting but he has no discretion in how they are exercised).
John's posting about the October 2008 Meeting is here:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 4441#p4441

In relation to the April 2009 Meeting, I posted some information here:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=30

This last indicates that large block votes can be overcome. I was discussing the SCCU proposals about the Counties Championships. Two of the three people whom I mentioned cast their votes against the proposals, but the motion was nevertheless carried by 107 votes to 65.

For the forthcoming elections, I would hope for a total vote in excess of 200 (as was obtained in 2006).

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:10 pm

benedgell wrote:Slightly off topic here, but the ECF have confirmed my appointment as Publicity Officer :D Pretty certain I've listed my contact details on page 3 of this thread, and if anyone's got any suggestions for how to get some publicity for chess (aside from getting one of our top players to turn up for a game inebriated :wink: ) I'd be delighted to hear it.
I believe that assaulting your opponents in a night club has proved effective in the past at getting publicity in newspapers and on the TV. :lol:

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:24 pm

benedgell wrote:... if anyone's got any suggestions for how to get some publicity for chess (aside from getting one of our top players to turn up for a game inebriated :wink: ) I'd be delighted to hear it.
You could join my facebook group and petition the BBC to have more chess on TV following the forthcoming "How to win at Chess" to be broadcast on BBC4 - see http://www.georgechan.co.uk/ for details.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:36 pm

I've joined the Facebook group. As far as chess on tv, I believe there will be tv coverage at this event
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=50

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks Ben,

Joining the facebook group is just the start however, you could also e-mail the BBC to support their forthcoming chess program (a one off, and coverage of things like the tournament are good, but we should look for more) and push for more chess on the BBC. The relevant contact details are on the facebook group.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:52 am

Interesting to see who nominated who:-

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=50
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
If you only get nominated by yourself then perhaps you should not bother to be honest?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:14 am

Not true in all cases i.e. Peter Purland should be junior director, and nominated himself for this.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:00 am

Indeed, the use of the word "self" is a little inaccurate, and will not feature on the Council agenda: under the Procedural Byelaws a retiring Director wishing to seek re-election to the same post can stand as of right and does not need to be nominated at all.