In search of a President

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Adam Raoof

Re: In search of a President

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:12 pm

I believe you just have to be a member; and i am sure that CJ is!

PS if you would like to see CJ interviewed about why he is standing as ECF President, please take a look at this link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNWITVbma5I
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Laurie-
I've already discussed the specifics of this and all that is required is that I'm an ECF basic member at the time of the AGM, which I certainly will be.

Sean-
Like Adam Raoof (who I wholeheartedly support) I see chess as a great way to bring people together. We all love the game so why can't it be inclusive rather than divisive? I used to be a fanatic player (350 rated longplay games a year) and am still an avid fan of the game both at home and abroad. I love chess and only want the best for those associated with it.

In the first instance, I hope to be able to bring some much needed publicity to the cause of English chess which will hopefully lead to financial support. The ECF does so much good work but there are so many different demands on both the individuals and the purse strings, that the ultimate aim (to promote and further the cause of chess for the benefit of those who play it) will sometimes have to take a back seat...I would hope to be able to bring this back to the fore.

I have one ambition and one ambition only...I want what is best for English chess at all levels. The organisers, the sponsors, the spectators and of course the players must all benefit from a stronger and more representative body and if I am lucky enough to be elected, I can only promise to try to ensure that is what happens and to always be accountable, contactable and responsible.

CJ

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Great. Didn't want any technical issues to get in the way!

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks CJ for this - which makes it even clearer why you are the guy to go for. One small thing - are you thinking of returning to playing. Even if occasionally.

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:01 pm

I've played 7 games in the last 5 years (and only 7 in my last active season) but scoring 6 wins and 8 draws means I'm undefeated since 2003!

However, it's highly unlikely I'll return to playing anywhere near my previous level but I'd never rule out playing the odd congress now and then...I just have to wait until my last grade completely vanishes so I don't completely humiliate myself.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Thanks for this CJ - the fact that we get a response on our Forum is great. Hopefully, you will be able to do this - within reason, of course - when you are elected!!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 pm

"In the first instance, I hope to be able to bring some much needed publicity to the cause of English chess which will hopefully lead to financial support."

Steve Davis never did, though I suspect that he never really promised that he would. It strikes me as being quite difficult, to say the least - unless perhaps you think you might have a chance of getting the game back on television? That would be potentially colossal for the game :D

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:06 pm

I can only hope and promise to try

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:32 pm

That's good enough for me.* And a belated welcome, again, to this Forum

*The writer is in fact disenfranchised from voting, along with virtually all other ECF members

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:*The writer is in fact disenfranchised from voting, along with virtually all other ECF members
Indeed. Lots of support for CJ, Nigel and Adam from this Forum will not get them elected. They (or at least someone) will need to persuade the electorate to vote for them.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:46 am

Neill Cooper wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:*The writer is in fact disenfranchised from voting, along with virtually all other ECF members
Indeed. Lots of support for CJ, Nigel and Adam from this Forum will not get them elected. They (or at least someone) will need to persuade the electorate to vote for them.
Never been clear to me who/what actually has all the votes so can someone clarify?

How many votes do members of this forum have a say over can we have a rough estimate on that one as well please?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:09 am

Carl Hibbard wrote
Never been clear to me who/what actually has all the votes so can someone clarify?
A new voting register will be issued with the papers for the October 2009 AGM, reflecting changes in activity, new events and any events losing their votes as a result of non-payment of Game Fee. The register for last October showed a breakdown of votes as follows (the second number, in brackets, indicates the multiple voting entitlement, based on Game Fee, on a poll).

Constituent Units 7 (18)
County Associations 38 (77)
Leagues 45 (87)
Congresses 53 (67)
Other organisations 10 (10)
Direct members representatives 8(8)
President 1(1)
Trustees of Permanent Invested Fund 3(3)
Past Chief Executive 1(1)
Elected Officers 12 (12)
Total 178 (284)

I personally exercise 3(3) votes by virtue of being an elected Officer (Chairman of the Governance Committee) and being the representative member of the Friends of Chess (classified as an other organisation) and Insurance Chess Club (classified as a League).

The disposition of voting power on the day is influenced by proxies. At last October's meeting I believe that the individual exercising the greatest voting power was John Turnock, who held a large number of proxies from organisations in the NCCU.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:12 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:Never been clear to me who/what actually has all the votes so can someone clarify?

How many votes do members of this forum have a say over can we have a rough estimate on that one as well please?
This has come up before. Here's a statement from April last year
Gunn/Sowray wrote:
The makup of council was summarised by Peter Sowray on his website (see the blog link on http://www.ecfomov.co.uk/):

"There are 46 Leagues who have a total of 87 votes between them. For example, the 4NCL has 6 votes and the Hammersmith & District League has 1.

There are 38 Counties with a total of 82 votes. The range is 4 votes for big counties like Surrey, to 1 vote for tiddlers like Warwickshire.

There are 53 Congresses wielding 66 votes. Golders Green carries a mighty 4.

There are 7 Constituent Units - these include the London Chess League, the Northern Counties Chess Union and the like. 19 Votes.

There are 10 Other Organisations (basically not fitting into other categories) - Braille Chess Association, British Federation for Correspondence Chess, to name but two. They have one vote each so - 10 votes.

Then there are 16 votes going to various individuals - one each - people like the President, the Board (that’s where I get my one vote as International Director), Trustees, Past Chief Executive.

And last, but not least, there are the Representatives of Direct Members (remember them) - who are 8 individuals each with a single vote = 8 votes - you can find their names here - keep scrolling down past the second photo of Gerry Walsh."
Adam R has a few votes in his own right - from the Golders Green rapidplays.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Gunn/Sowray wrote:"There are 46 Leagues who have a total of 87 votes between them. For example, the 4NCL has 6 votes and the Hammersmith & District League has 1.
Who in the league carries the vote? The Chairman? The Controller or the Committee?
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Greg Breed wrote:Who in the league carries the vote? The Chairman? The Controller or the Committee?
None of the above - the vote is in the hands of the "delegate" who is appointed or elected by the League's AGM or management. Practice varies as to whether the delegate consults his league management or AGM for instructions.