In search of a President

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: In search of a President

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:In all seriousness, CJ de Mooi from BBC's Eggheads has expressed a serious interest in standing for ECF President - what would be better? He is a celebrity, a very decent player (about 160+) and takes an active interest in chess in his adopted home of Wales and would probably increase the profile of the game in a very positive way.

He was in Torquay to watch the chess and did this interview;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNWITVbm ... re=channel

I'd vote for him ... but only if he'll agree that he'll start every sentence he ever speaks in his official capacity with "I didn't get where I am today ...."

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:19 am

Adam,

CJ de Mooi would, to my mind, not be a good candidate for president. His "celebrity status" is rather minor and he would merely confirm in the public's mind the nerdy nature of chess and chess players.

Regards,
Paul McKeown.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:31 am

Paul,
Please suggest good candidates and we can consider making contact.

J.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:52 am

CJ de Mooi would, to my mind, not be a good candidate for president. His "celebrity status" is rather minor and he would merely confirm in the public's mind the nerdy nature of chess and chess players.
I disagree with you, but if you can suggest a realistic (i.e. someone who will actually stand) alternative candidate I am sure an election would follow!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Even a minor celebrity is better than none at all, surely?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:Even a minor celebrity is better than none at all, surely?
Call me old fashioned, but maybe "would do a good job" should be part of the requirement.

"Previous experience in a similar role" would help too.
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Tryfon Gavriel

Post by Tryfon Gavriel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
I disagree with you, but if you can suggest a realistic (i.e. someone who will actually stand) alternative candidate I am sure an election would follow!
I agree with Adam, and of course I'm biased as I took the interview via my Iphone. Eggheads is on TV quite regularly - it has massive viewing audience. If chess is associated with improving memory skills if we had this person as president, why would that be a bad thing?! Also isn't memory useful for remembering opening theory?! He recalled from memory a game he played years ago in one of Adam's quickplays. Surely he should be given serious consideration !?
Webmaster, http://www.chessworld.net/chessclubs/as ... ?from=1053
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/kingscrusher
Host of Kingscrusher's weekly radio show on Playchess.com : "Kingscrusher's radio show"

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:46 pm

I've hardly ever seen Eggheads, but doesn't CJ come across as a bit of a prat (pompous w_nker my daughter calls him) on the programme. Now Tryfon's interview shows him in a totally different light, but that is not what the public will know.

Anyway I trust those who are in favour, so I'll go with him.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Some people wont like him or want him simply because he is a celebrity!
Or because he's obviously 100 times cleverer then them. :lol:

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 pm

John Moore wrote:I've hardly ever seen Eggheads, but doesn't CJ come across as a bit of a prat (pompous w_nker my daughter calls him) on the programme. Now Tryfon's interview shows him in a totally different light, but that is not what the public will know.

Anyway I trust those who are in favour, so I'll go with him.
People should not confuse his 'on-screen' persona with what he's like when you take time out to talk to him.

He has supported Welsh Chess over the past few years - not playing on his personality but supporting in a very real way. Quite a few of his recent games have been as a filler in some of the tournaments we've held here.

If the ECF would like the WCU to help them by supplying a President, then our loss would be your gain.

Wilf

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:29 am

OK, Ernie - how do I officially nominate CJ?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:40 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Gerry Walsh is well known in the world of chess but in the world at large he is unkown.
I rather doubt that. A lot of club members don't even know their team mates.
Ernie Lazenby wrote:We are not looking for a CEO or a Chairman we are looking for someone who can do some good in giving our game a better image and hopefully attract some sponsorship.
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Mr Connagh Joseph De Mooi (40 years old) should be nominated for President of the ECF. If he isnt we will continue to stagnate and remain at the bottom of the sports heap.
From figurehead to messiah, in a few forum posts.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:29 am

I would support CJ too and will try and get him nominated through the organisations I'm involved with (SCCA, SCCU, Border League). The other members of these organisations may not agree, of course!

During the couple of years that the Surrey Congress was run by Tony Corfe, myself and Mike Adams CJ sponsored an event within it (the rapidplay), which demonstrates some commitment to promoting developing chess.

If CJ turns out not to be a great president then we can always try someone else in 2 years time, but I currently haven't seen a (serious) suggestion of a better candidate.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:43 am

Id Also support CJ
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:20 pm

I'd just like to throw in my thoughts here and say that i first met CJ at the '06 Hereford congress, and he has always seemed to me to be a thouroughly nice guy. At that stage, having never watched eggheads, i had no idea "who" he was but formed an impression based on talking to him first hand. I think he would be a very good candidate for presidency.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.