In search of a President

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

In search of a President

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:31 pm

In another thread I mentioned communications with Jeremy Clarkson.

This was the conclusion : :(
John

I am so sorry but this is something that at the moment Jeremy is unable to commit to. I am sorry. As I said on the phone he is not happy to be just a name and due to his present work load he is just not able to give you the time he would like to.

So sorry

Lucinda McFarlane
PA to Jeremy Clarkson
It has been suggested to try Carol Vorderman : I will attempt same! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alex Holowczak

Re: In search of a President

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:54 pm

As opposed to Jeremy Clarkson, I don't think anyone has anything against Carol Vorderman. :)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Well they both have absolutely no interest in chess. I see that as some disadvantage?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Well they both have absolutely no interest in chess. I see that as some disadvantage?
What information do you base your conclusion on Matthew? :?:

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Their names have never cropped up in connection with chess. Carol Vorderman was a compere for the Short-Kasparov match, but I think this was purely because it was a Channel Four production. I don't know of Carol referring to chess on any other occasion, either publicly or privately. She has certainly never spoken to me about the game.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:30 pm

For those who might have missed the significance of Matthew's comment, Matthew once made the final of Countdown and must have spent several days on set with the crew at the time.

John, forgive me for asking but on what basis/authority are you approaching celebrities to ask whether they want to be ECF President?

Clarkson must have been shocked to be asked! He would have feared losing his reputation overnight ...

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Jonathan,
Carol is also about the only famous alumnus of my College
(said half jokingly, with apologies to David Owen)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:41 pm

David Owen would have been a great choice, instead of Steve Davis, all those years ago!

I remember Nosher detailing in NIC a tournament win in China a few years ago, and he mentions that he showed his penultimate round win to Owen and his wife in their place (palace?) around the corner back in Greece ...

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:51 pm

I, too, find it a little odd that John Upham is trying to recruit the next President. Whilst both Jeremy Clarkson and Carol Vorderman are incredible entertainers and brilliant at their jobs I just don't see them becoming the ECF President. I really feel the ECF should do everything possible to get David Norwood to become the next President. He is a chess player, he has just retired, has loads of contacts with potential sponsors and he has shown his philanthropic credentials by giving £120m to British Universities. What more can you really want?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I, too, find it a little odd that John Upham is trying to recruit the next President. Whilst both Jeremy Clarkson and Carol Vorderman are incredible entertainers and brilliant at their jobs I just don't see them becoming the ECF President. I really feel the ECF should do everything possible to get David Norwood to become the next President. He is a chess player, he has just retired, has loads of contacts with potential sponsors and he has shown his philanthropic credentials by giving £120m to British Universities. What more can you really want?
Are you sure that you haven't added a couple of noughts on there? That's a lot of money!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Richard
I don't think so,
£120,000,000
is the number I am thinking of. As indeed you say, it is quite a lot!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
John, forgive me for asking but on what basis/authority are you approaching celebrities to ask whether they want to be ECF President?
None whatsoever or, because I can and have the motivation to do so.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Richard
I don't think so,
£120,000,000
is the number I am thinking of. As indeed you say, it is quite a lot!
From what i can make out from a quick scan of the internet, making universities money was David Norwood's business (exploiting /developing the commercial potential of their work). Very good for the universities, but not quite the same as making personal philanthropic donations on such a massive scale.

To be making personal £120m donations would indicate one was at least a billionaire I would have thought - which seems to be out by about a factor of 100 from the odd estimate given.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 pm

Seems like it has become pick a random celeb to be president. I think that someone with a certain amount of wedge is probably more useful than a random celeb who once decided to be witty and intelligent by trying to include chess into an article. Chess needs a serious amount of money so the basics of "prize money" and "players fees" are at such a level that will draw attention to perhaps the likes of TV. Many corporate sponsors will not think of sponsoring an event unless it has TV coverage. If you get someone with money then they can hire celebs to promote events.

Does Alan Sugar like chess hmmmm..... (or any of the dragons from Dragons Den).

I did notice that Tim Rice is a vp for the ecf (correct me if I am wrong), and he has serious wedge.

Finally, another idea maybe to find out how the hell Bridge got on TV to see if chess can follow a similar route!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Richard,
It was David's idea to partner Universities, firstly through Evolution, the venture then being spun-off into IP2IPO (now IP Group). Yes, there was a primary business motive behind his actions, but, in a way, so what. The fact is British Universities are £120m better off because of David Norwood. That is pretty fantastic when you think about it and it shows that David can raise very large sums of money and develop very creative projects. It is hard for me to think how an individual could be better qualified to lead the ECF.