In search of a President

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Philpott

Re: In search of a President

Post by John Philpott » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Greg Breed wrote
Who in the league carries the vote? The Chairman? The Controller or the Committee?
The vote is carried by whoever the League decides to appoint as its representative ECF member. The process for doing this will vary from League to League: in some cases this may be a post elected at the League AGM, in others it may be an appointment by the Committee.

Marcus Misson

Post by Marcus Misson » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Neill Cooper wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:*The writer is in fact disenfranchised from voting, along with virtually all other ECF members
Indeed. Lots of support for CJ, Nigel and Adam from this Forum will not get them elected. They (or at least someone) will need to persuade the electorate to vote for them.
Never been clear to me who/what actually has all the votes so can someone clarify?

How many votes do members of this forum have a say over can we have a rough estimate on that one as well please?
The delegate from Cambridgeshire is intending to cast his (one)vote for CJ, GM Short, and Adam (unless he recieves clear direction from his electorate otherwise. Not very likely.) :)
chessplayers are crazy when it comes to chess
but that's not to say they're not really good blokes

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks Marcus! I have three votes myself (based on game fee from Golders Green) and I shall be passing my proxies to Mike Gunn from Surrey. If there is anyone who would like to vote in the forthcoming elections and can't attend I would recommend doing the same. I am also sure that there are a number of congresses who pay game fee but who don't realise that they also have a right to vote and have slipped off the voting register. If that's the case I suggest ringing the ECF Office to check your status!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:26 pm

John Turnock has consulted all the NCCU reps as to how to cast his/our votes.
As clevelands NCCU rep i have consulted the executive and as many cleveland members as possable to find there views on the contested posts.At least democracy is alive and kicking in cleveland and the NCCU something that never happened in the days that mr Gerard Walsh ran cleveland chess
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm

John Philpott wrote:Carl Hibbard wrote
Never been clear to me who/what actually has all the votes so can someone clarify?
I personally exercise 3(3) votes by virtue of being an elected Officer (Chairman of the Governance Committee) and being the representative member of the Friends of Chess (classified as an other organisation) and Insurance Chess Club (classified as a League).

The disposition of voting power on the day is influenced by proxies. At last October's meeting I believe that the individual exercising the greatest voting power was John Turnock, who held a large number of proxies from organisations in the NCCU.
Under the circumstances, I suspect that there are more posts than willing volunteers so having someone in multiple roles is inevitable. Those volunteers who do so much should of course be thanked for doing so. But what happens when the organisations one represents have different views? Can you split your vote?

In John's case, it is conceivable that his chess club have a vote and say they want candidate X to be FIDE delegate; the Friends of Chess might say likewise; but as a member of the governance committee and on a personal basis, John may want candidate Y. So can you cast 2 votes for one candidate and one for another? has this ever been done?

Chris Fewtrell

Post by Chris Fewtrell » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Middlesex vote in favour of items which benefit the Middlesex clubs; also for items which benefit the SCCU where there is no conflict with the former

Chris

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:24 pm

OK, here's my example; and fwiw some of my preferences run counter to what appears to be the consensus here:

As a Standard Member of ECF I have e-mailed the Standard Members' Reps to urge them how to vote. No response yet.

As an individual member of Kent County I have done the same for the County rep, who commented:
"I sought guidance at the KCCA AGM, and was instructed to vote as I thought best. I shall do so. But thank you for your remarks. They are among the few KCCA views I have heard."

I can't actually remember if I renewed my membership of the Sussex Chess Association but that body is moribund and I don't know who the ECF rep might be.

The Mid-Sussex League membership is based on clubs so I have no locus standi there and my club committee has declined to express a view. The League Secretary has indicated that they will consider matters in the light of clubs' input.

My club is an ECF Corporate Vice-President but for the aforesaid reason we will not be lobbying the Vice-Presidents' rep.

PB

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Paul Buswell wrote:As an individual member of Kent County I have done the same for the County rep, who commented:

"I sought guidance at the KCCA AGM, and was instructed to vote as I thought best. I shall do so. But thank you for your remarks. They are among the few KCCA views I have heard."
That's nice then isn't it...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:40 pm

If Mr. A. Player comes along and organises a new Congress, which is Game Fee registered, does this entitle him to a vote worth one in the ECF elections automatically, or are there other hurdles to jump through?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:If Mr. A. Player comes along and organises a new Congress, which is Game Fee registered, does this entitle him to a vote worth one in the ECF elections automatically, or are there other hurdles to jump through?
Essentially that's correct although he would need for his congress to apply for membership of the ECF - and the game fee payment needs to exceed the minimum amount of £52. I think :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:38 pm

Laurie Roberts wrote:Under the circumstances, I suspect that there are more posts than willing volunteers so having someone in multiple roles is inevitable. Those volunteers who do so much should of course be thanked for doing so. But what happens when the organisations one represents have different views? Can you split your vote?

In John's case, it is conceivable that his chess club have a vote and say they want candidate X to be FIDE delegate; the Friends of Chess might say likewise; but as a member of the governance committee and on a personal basis, John may want candidate Y. So can you cast 2 votes for one candidate and one for another?
It's no problem at all where you hold a number of votes for different organisations; indeed it's something I've done frequently. You simply inform the tellers how you wish to cast each of your votes, or when there's a secret ballot you complete your voting cards in different ways.

At the April 2009 Council Meeting I held the votes, either as Representative Member or proxy, for five organisations. I cast four of them in support of the SCCU motion about the grading limits for the Counties Championships and I abstained with the fifth vote. That was the vote of the Chess Endgame Study Circle, in respect of which I have a standing instruction to abstain in respect of matters which only involve playing issues.

I can't recall whether an organisation which has more than one vote can split them in different ways.
William Metcalfe wrote:John Turnock has consulted all the NCCU reps as to how to cast his/our votes.
SCCU President Mike Gunn consulted the SCCU Executive Committee as to whether or not we should nominate any or all of CJ de Mooi, Adam Raoof and Chris Majer; the consensus was to make all three nominations.

The Executive Committee will be meeting on 2nd October to decide (or confirm) how we shall be voting in the elections and also how we shall be voting on a number of other important matters on the ECF Council Agenda.