Page 1 of 5

ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:57 am
by Roger de Coverly
Those who are both ECF members and whose email address is known to the ECF Office will have seen this new initiative from the Publicity Manager.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-enewsletter-is-out/

As this covers much the same ground as "ChessMoves", itself a successor to a BCF newsletter, isn't there duplication of effort?

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:34 am
by John Upham
Roger de Coverly wrote: isn't there duplication of effort?
And who is making that effort Roger?

As always, not yourself.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 am
by Roger de Coverly
John Upham wrote: And who is making that effort Roger?
The ECF using money collected from memberships. Do you not recall that when the Government grant was removed, the ECF mostly discontinued the paper version of ChessMoves as a cost saving measure? It didn't go the whole hog and scrap it, thereby saving itself the expense of producing it.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:46 am
by John Upham
Mark J. is a volunteer and produces the newsletter himself in his own time at no expense to the membership.

The mailing list service is paid for and would continue to be used by the ECF Office regardless of MJ using it.

Why not contact MJ and inform him that he is wasting his time? Perhaps that is too much effort?

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:50 am
by Roger de Coverly
John Upham wrote:Why not contact MJ and inform him that he is wasting his time?
Isn't it the effort to produce ChessMoves that has become the waste of time? That's as evidenced by the need to duplicate the material in a sightly different format.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:07 am
by Allan Hodgkinson
I, for one, welcome this initiative. I believe it's a direct way of making the membership feel involved and should be supported. Mark is inviting comments/suggestions from members so that he can shape future newsletters and I would encourage the regional movers and shakers, as well as individual members, to get behind this.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:21 am
by PeterFarr
Allan Hodgkinson wrote:I, for one, welcome this initiative. I believe it's a direct way of making the membership feel involved and should be supported. Mark is inviting comments/suggestions from members so that he can shape future newsletters and I would encourage the regional movers and shakers, as well as individual members, to get behind this.
yes agreed, well done to Mark Jordan. No doubt the relationship with chessmoves can be optimised at some point.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:24 am
by Andrew Zigmond
John Upham wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: isn't there duplication of effort?
And who is making that effort Roger?

As always, not yourself.
Definitely one for the `like` button, if this forum had one.

Since Mark Jordan took on his new role we have seen improvements both in presentation and communication.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:35 am
by Mick Norris
Andrew Zigmond wrote:Since Mark Jordan took on his new role we have seen improvements both in presentation and communication.
Agree with that, Mark has made mistakes, and will do so in future, but he is a positive and should be supported

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:39 am
by Carl Hibbard
Do we have a sample we can publish here or is it mailing list only?

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:44 am
by John Upham
At the top of the newsletter it is written:
View this newsletter in your browser ...
Which redirects to

http://sut5.co.uk/l/c.php?u=preview

which produces
This feature is only enabled once your campaign has been sent out - it does not function for previews.
which, no doubt, MJ is resolving.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:00 pm
by Mark Jordan
John Upham wrote:At the top of the newsletter it is written:
View this newsletter in your browser ...
Which redirects to

http://sut5.co.uk/l/c.php?u=preview

which produces
This feature is only enabled once your campaign has been sent out - it does not function for previews.
which, no doubt, MJ is resolving.
That's a bit worrying and the first issue I've heard! I had no trouble accessing it on my own email as it's not even an attachment but the email itself! Also, since I've had some comments back re contents, this does not seem to be a universal problem. I'll look into this and see what's going wrong. May not be able to fully resolve until Tuesday as the office is closed until then.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:01 pm
by Mark Jordan
Carl Hibbard wrote:Do we have a sample we can publish here or is it mailing list only?
We want to keep it to the mailing list, Carl, but seeing this is the first edition I'll see what I can do.

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:02 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Mark Jordan wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Do we have a sample we can publish here or is it mailing list only?
We want to keep it to the mailing list, Carl, but seeing this is the first edition I'll see what I can do.
Please add me to the mailing list (I am a gold member) :oops:

Re: ECF enewsletter

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:19 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
I don’t seem to be on the mailing list either. I’ve had stuff from the ECF before, but haven’t received this email.