Chess Recognition

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Nigel_Davies

Re: Chess Recognition

Post by Nigel_Davies » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:19 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: If there was no financial support, presumably the ECF would have to do what the Scots and Welsh do, especially for the European Teams, namely to drop down the rating list until you find players sufficiently well off and with sufficient holiday time that they can finance themselves over a two week or longer competition. That's parallel to what the ECF does for junior competitions.
Yes this has to be the default position if no sponsorship was in place, but I think it's fair enough. Meanwhile lower membership fees should help increase membership numbers and reduce resentment, which in turn should make chess more attractive to sponsors. The current war zone is the kiss of death to any sort of funding.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:23 am

Nigel_Davies wrote: Yes this has to be the default position if no sponsorship was in place, but I think it's fair enough.
I doubt if struggling to finish above Kosovo and Scotland in the European Championships would do much for the image of the game in England.

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: I doubt if struggling to finish above Kosovo and Scotland in the European Championships would do much for the image of the game in England.
Probably not, but the first step should be to put the house in order and create the right atmosphere for funding.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:42 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: the image of the game in England.
How would you describe that image?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything that's been said about a Professional Chess Organisation (almost said Association - that's been done) to oversee top level chess in this country and I hope somebody with the right qualification will take on the initiative. That said, it doesn't necessarily follow that all titled players in this country will get on and that there won't be some public spats.

It would need a working relationship with the English Chess Federation and the game does need a strong amateur scene. I do resent slightly the implication that amateurs are against professional chess. Yes, there has been obstruction from those with influence in recent years and there are backwards thinking luddites in many chess clubs. However most of us want a thriving chess scene that benefits players of all standards. The more going on that is positive; the less the odd boardroom spat or even AGM ousting matters.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:46 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I do resent slightly the implication that amateurs are against professional chess. Yes, there has been obstruction from those with influence in recent years and there are backwards thinking luddites in many chess clubs.
Nobody said it was ALL amateurs so there's no need for your resentment.

Should there be no sponsorship of an Olympiad team, and amateurs were not forced to contribute via inflated membership fees, it would be worth implementing fundraising events (such as simultaneous displays, book signings etc) which amateurs could support if they chose to do so. Scotland and Wales might also try this, I know of at least one young Welsh player who raised funds for a trip.

This kind of project, especially when done fairly and without coercion, might prove to be a way to build bridges between those in different camps.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:49 pm

I am up for doing simuls for good causes, and "generating money to allow professional chess to take place" sounds like a good cause to me. Anyone want me to do a simul?