New Site

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
TomChivers

Re: New Site

Post by TomChivers » Tue May 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Oh, registering also allows you to leave comments on the news feeds, see the bottom of here:

http://chessuk.org/news-feeds?IDNoticia ... verNoticia

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 26, 2009 1:06 pm

TomChivers wrote:http://chessuk.org/ is another url for the same site.

I registered for the site. When you do so, the site appears to offer you the opportunity to write a blog on it. Atm this blog feature doesn't seem to work; it says, 'You do not have the permissions to post or edit blog entries.Please contact the site admin.' However, given that it also says 'The ECF accepts no responsibility for the content of these blogs' perhaps there are plans to allow such a progressive feature?

Btw, my activation email went to my spam, so be aware of that anyone who wishes to register.

Finally, the site looks familiar. Is it based on a template of some kind that is publicly available, a google site or some such?! I for one (and perhaps only one) think presentation-wise it's perfectly good.
I was well aware of the alternate URL but to be honest I suspect you are not supposed to messing!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 26, 2009 1:07 pm

TomChivers wrote:Oh, registering also allows you to leave comments on the news feeds, see the bottom of here:

http://chessuk.org/news-feeds?IDNoticia ... verNoticia
Ditto, I suspect the ECF aren't quite ready (or expecting...) this to occur
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

TomChivers

Post by TomChivers » Tue May 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Well, if I'm doing something wrong I'll rely on the ECF to tell me so.

You can actually set up a blog name and description:

http://chessuk.org/component/myblog/blo ... 20Chivers/

But no posts, yet.

TomChivers

Post by TomChivers » Tue May 26, 2009 1:51 pm

TomChivers wrote:the site looks familiar. Is it based on a template of some kind that is publicly available, a google site or some such?!
I think I've answered my own question. It's made with joomla, you can tell by the favicon (which surely should be changed to a chess piece!)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 26, 2009 3:03 pm

TomChivers wrote:
TomChivers wrote:the site looks familiar. Is it based on a template of some kind that is publicly available, a google site or some such?!
I think I've answered my own question. It's made with joomla, you can tell by the favicon (which surely should be changed to a chess piece!)
It is Joomla! yes - lets hope they are backing up the MySQL database that goes with it
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 pm

I have to admit I am a bit confused by this. I had thought chessuk was a site registered to Claire Summerscale. I have a girls' event on June 7th which I am organising on Claire's behalf and the Url is http://www.chessuk.com/westef.html
Claire's E-mail s also chessuk@****.com
Who knows what is going on? I know I don't, but one cannot help feeling no-one else does either.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I have to admit I am a bit confused by this. I had thought chessuk was a site registered to Claire Summerscale. I have a girls' event on June 7th which I am organising on Claire's behalf and the Url is http://www.chessuk.com/westef.html
Claire's E-mail s also chessuk@****.com
Who knows what is going on? I know I don't, but one cannot help feeling no-one else does either.
It is all being organised by Duncan Burbidge the new ICT manager

chessuk.com is Claire yes

chessuk.org is Duncan running the ECF site via an American hosting company rather than the ECF site which is a Demon Internet site

It's a bit of a mess but should all come out in the wash eventually
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Who knows what is going on? I know I don't, but one cannot help feeling no-one else does either.
I presume they will eventually reinstate the ICT committee when things should hopefully become clearer

I wasn't involved on the old one apart from offering technical advice when the committee got stuck :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Wed May 27, 2009 8:02 am

Hello all
chessuk.com is my site. I registered it years ago and used it to promote Women and Girls' chess for the ECF when I was the Manager of Women's Chess.

I paid for the site, so I retained control of it when I resigned, although I said I would of course still help out Meri Lyell by putting the girls' entry forms on a part of the site that remains as it was.

Hope this clarifies.
Claire

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 am

Dear All

The ECForum should be the one and only voice for English chess players-

Chess Moves should be edited by a chess player and the editorial should shown on its own string.

Management board meetings should cease and be replaced by progress reports every three months from individual officers on their own string.

Finances saved should be used to fund the ECForum

OMOV could be incorporated on the forum

Carl-Is this feasible ?

Alan Ruffle

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 27, 2009 9:48 am

So you would close down the SCCU, atticus, NE1, chesspub etc.
Chess Moves should be edited by a chess player and the editorial should shown on its own string.
Why not just close Chess Moves?
Management board meetings should cease and be replaced by progress reports every three months from individual officers on their own string.
The ECF board have a collective legal responsibility and should meet to demonstrate this. You might even hope that individual directors talk to each other in a formal setting.
The forum is wider than individual members of the ECF.
Carl-Is this feasible ?
More to the point - is it desirable?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed May 27, 2009 10:03 am

Alan Ruffle wrote:Dear All

Finances saved should be used to fund the ECForum

Carl-Is this feasible ?

Alan Ruffle
Seems a tad over the top Alan, although anything is possible

Why would funding of this forum be needed?

I would say greater communication (and feedback...) to members should be the number one priority but clearly the ECF want to avoid criticism and hassle (even from this forum) so I don't see much changing on that front
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Thu May 28, 2009 12:32 pm

Carl

Why would funding of this forum be needed?

I read it on another string

I would say greater communication (and feedback...) to members should be the number one priority but clearly the ECF want to avoid criticism and hassle (even from this forum) so I don't see much changing on that front[/quote]

Just seeking clarificatiion about what is going on.......................this is a good thing, ask any MP.

Now I hate to be boring but I have replied to you privatley re 'quote', it seems to be stuck in the 'outbox' what button do I press now ??

Cheers

Alan Ruffle

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Thu May 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
So you would close down the SCCU, atticus, NE1, chesspub etc.

ECForum should be the first port of call
Why not just close Chess Moves?

Interesting idea
The ECF board have a collective legal responsibility and should meet to demonstrate this. You might even hope that individual directors talk to each other in a formal setting.

Why the need for secrecy, actually I go the SCCU for accurate minuting
The forum is wider than individual members of the ECF.

It might encourage a few more to contribute

Cheers

Alan Ruffle