Communication Strategy

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paolo Casaschi

Re: Communication Strategy

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote: Depends how do you define "easily".
If you have to move to another country, or even just buy a second home there, I don't think that's "easy".
I might be wrong here, but I doubt it's so difficult as you describe either. Especially in the UK that counts half a dozen different affiliates to FIDE.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:27 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Brian Valentine wrote:...could help the organisation extract itself from the current communications outcomes deficit.
Is this irony? If so, it's superb
These things are rather easy to parody. I have to agree with Roger that the actions - appointing a publicity officer who has made a promising start- attract more praise than the paper that we in Council can only note (a position consistent with such strategy).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: Especially in the UK that counts half a dozen different affiliates to FIDE.
It would be easy enough to become ENG, as I don't believe the ECF demand any particular evidence. It's rather more difficult to become Welsh, Scottish or Irish as I suspect the local Federations would insist on ancestry, birth or residence as qualification standards. Their rather more stringent requirements are perhaps because it's possible for amateur level players to qualify for their Olympiad teams and thereby "take the places" as they would see it, of residents.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:There is a slight difference.

When you watch the Shakers the Shakers get your money.

When you play in the 4NCL the ECF gets your money.
Unless I am mistaken the Shakers will pay on some of their income to organising and representative bodies such as the Football League and the FA.
VAT to the Government too
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:00 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote: Especially in the UK that counts half a dozen different affiliates to FIDE.
It would be easy enough to become ENG, as I don't believe the ECF demand any particular evidence. It's rather more difficult to become Welsh, Scottish or Irish as I suspect the local Federations would insist on ancestry, birth or residence as qualification standards. Their rather more stringent requirements are perhaps because it's possible for amateur level players to qualify for their Olympiad teams and thereby "take the places" as they would see it, of residents.
That's a bit harsh on the Scots, isn't it? They have grandmasters up there, don't they? Didn't one of them even have the temerity to launch a raid south of the border and head back north as British Champion?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:07 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: I might be wrong here, but I doubt it's so difficult as you describe either. Especially in the UK that counts half a dozen different affiliates to FIDE.
I think that you are wrong, although perhaps this is a common misconception. While some federations may sometimes lie about the status of their players, I don't believe that the UK is particularly noted for that. If you have evidence to the contrary, don't be shy!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Brian Towers wrote: That's a bit harsh on the Scots, isn't it?
If you aren't obviously living in Scotland, or were born there, I believe questions may be asked as to your parentage. I might have this wrong, but I believe one of their more recent recruits assured them that he wanted to play as Scottish, rather than for Scotland, thus not deselecting one of their existing players.

FIDE appear to take the view that provided you have UK or Irish nationality it's up to the chess federations of ENG, SCO, WLS, IRL, GCI and JCI to decide the rules as to for which one someone is eligible.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: FIDE appear to take the view that provided you have UK or Irish nationality it's up to the chess federations of ENG, SCO, WLS, IRL, GCI and JCI to decide the rules as to for which one someone is eligible.
I certainly didn't know that!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote:I think that you are wrong, although perhaps this is a common misconception. While some federations may sometimes lie about the status of their players, I don't believe that the UK is particularly noted for that. If you have evidence to the contrary, don't be shy!
I do not have much evidence, just an impression. Maybe things got different lately but I remember when I played my first FIDE event (in France) I had been registered by mistake as Belgian and I had to argue to get this corrected. Ultimately I got the impression that nobody checked any nationality claim at the time. They might be stricter now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:21 pm

NickFaulks wrote: I certainly didn't know that!
I think it was a discussion at the Chess Scotland site before they closed off the ability of outsiders to read it. They were tying themselves in knots over whether it should be parents or grandparents, before someone pointed out that all FIDE knew was that Nationality was British and they couldn't get involved in subdivisions.

I suppose that asks another question, which is that with an English, Welsh, Scottish split common in international sports or competitive activities, how do other international bodies handle the internal British eligibility question?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: Ultimately I got the impression that nobody checked any nationality claim at the time. They might be stricter now.
I imagine that changed when a money-grabber in FIDE realised that charging for Federation changes could be a nice little earner. People changing Federation was also probably an impediment to the smooth running of a rating system, but promotion of chess should really have overruled this, particularly for players who had only played one event.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I suppose that asks another question, which is that with an English, Welsh, Scottish split common in international sports or competitive activities, how do other international bodies handle the internal British eligibility question?
3 years residence or a grandparent is the qualification in rugby.

Topically the Scottish rugby side, which played so well against Japan yesterday, is stuffed full of Kiwis and Saffers. One of them, a Saffer, has only been qualified (by 3 years residence) for about a week. The Scots even have a team of headhunters scouring the rugby world for Bok, Wallaby and All Black rejects with a Scottish grandparent to try and strengthen their side. So, the complete opposite of chess.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:16 pm

[quote="Roger de Coverly
If you aren't obviously living in Scotland, or were born there, I believe questions may be asked as to your parentage.[/quote]

I wasn't born in Scotland, nor have I ever lived there, but I'm confident my parents were married - and to each other.

[quote="Roger de Coverly]FIDE appear to take the view that provided you have UK or Irish nationality it's up to the chess federations of ENG, SCO, WLS, IRL, GCI and JCI to decide the rules as to for which one someone is eligible.[/quote]

GCI and JCI are not part of the UK or Ireland!!!

Julie

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Julie Denning wrote: GCI and JCI are not part of the UK or Ireland!!!
But residents are British passport holders.

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Julie Denning wrote: GCI and JCI are not part of the UK or Ireland!!!
But residents are British passport holders.
Nationals of the islands are British (not UK!) passport holders, but residents can come from anywhere.

Julie