National Chess Library closure

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Stewart Reuben

Re: National Chess Library closure

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Having moved recently to a retirement village, I have been very busy. Thus I only now came across Christopher Kreuzer's post.
> think I am right that he has a collection of chess-related film/TV items (though he may have already arranged for it to go to an archive at some future point).<
What happened was that I copied all my chess-related stuff onto DVD and presented the material for the English Chess Library which was then stored at Hastings University. They then refused to display the material since so much of it was copyright. The term used is ripped.
When the library moved to the ECF in Hastings I took no further action.
It was recently moved to de Montfort University in Leicester. I sent some of my material (not just video) to Hastings Chess Club where it is looked after well. That includes a mannequin of me! and the vhs tapes. Marc Bryant still has the equipment to show vhs.
I still have my chess material on dvd at my new home. I believe this is the largest collection of chess in the English chess language, on dvd, anywhere in the world. I believe the ECF has the catalogue online.