So according to the ECF........

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Matt Mackenzie

So according to the ECF........

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:34 pm

..........I am the "Representative Member" for the Hammersmith and District League (!!) :shock: :o

(complete with accompanying thick wodge of documents for forthcoming Finance Council Meeting on April 18)

Despite the fact I have never in my life been a member of, played in or indeed been in any way otherwise connected with said organisation :?: :?: :?:

One might have thought an address in darkest Cumbria might have given someone in the ECF office pause, eh?? :roll:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

carstenpedersen

Re: So according to the ECF........

Post by carstenpedersen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:03 pm

However, Mike Mackenzie, secretary of Hammersmith chess club is indeed connected to said league........

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Aha!! (cf Alan Partridge)

So is the "correct" Mackenzie aware of the meeting coming up??
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

carstenpedersen

Post by carstenpedersen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:16 am

Don't know. Unlikely to attend in any case I'd have thought but I'll let him know. I presume he'd need to contact the ECF office if he wants the papers sent to him.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 am

Matt,
Can you post the Agenda for this meeting please?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:49 pm

OK John, here is a brief outline of the agenda - with further details as selected:

1) Election of Chairman for meeting (Prez will be absent - so Chris Majer proposed here);

2) Notices (apologies, appointing tellers, etc);

3) Approval and, if neccessary, correction of minutes of the Council AGM held 18th October 2008;

4) Matters arising etc;

5) President's Report;

6) Report by the Chief executive, including (wait for this folks!) update on "Chess for Schools" :lol: :oops: :roll: ;

7) Report by Finance Committee Chairman;

8 ) Annual Business Plan 2009/10 (Council invited to approve);

9) Report of Finance Director and Budget 2009/10 (Council invited to note);

10) Direct Members Subscriptions (rise of 50 pence proposed);

11) Minimum membership fees for member organisations (proposed to remain at £50);

12) Game Fee (rise from 48 pence to 50 pence proposed);

13) Determination of Game Fee for 2009/10 (card vote recommended here!);

14) Adoption of Budget fror 2009/10;

15) Proposals related to ECF County match rules (Director of Home Chess proposes that grading bands stay the same for the coming season, with a subsequent review. SCCU proposes immediate changes. EACU also submitted a paper, but it came too late to be considered at this meeting :? );

16) Venue for AGM this 17th October (scheduled for London);

17) Any other business (must advise Chairman of this before start of meeting)

BTW I see that only tea/coffee/biscuits are promised as refreshment - how long do these meetings last usually? :?:

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 am

On item 6 ... Chess for Schools

As of this morning, the ECF web site still carries the following announcement from Chris Majer:

"David Anderton and myself had a meeting with ... Holloid Plastics last week."

It then trails off via a hyperlink to some correspondence from Holloid.

"Last week" is used to refer to a meeting that took place before Christmas. This is grossly misleading, indeed bordering on the deceitful. Is it too much to hope that somebody at the Council meeting will ask Chris or David why this communication is still in place?

In a perfect world, Council would also ask the non-Executive Directors why their oversight failed to catch this negligence.

Peter

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:34 pm

Peter Sowray wrote:"Last week" is used to refer to a meeting that took place before Christmas. This is grossly misleading, indeed bordering on the deceitful. Is it too much to hope that somebody at the Council meeting will ask Chris or David why this communication is still in place?
It still says free as well, clearly an update is needed on the state of the project be it good or bad
Cheers
Carl Hibbard