Gerry Walsh Will Not Seek Re-Election as ECF President

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Sedgwick

Gerry Walsh Will Not Seek Re-Election as ECF President

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:12 am

Breaking News

Gerry Walsh has announced that he will not seek re-election as ECF President in October.

More to follow

David Sedgwick

Re: Gerry Walsh Will Not Seek Re-Election as ECF President

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:26 am

I've just received the Papers for the ECF Council Meeting on 18th April.

I quote the following from the President's Report, verbatim and without comment:

"When we reach October Council I will have completed 10 years as lead officer for the federation and I can advise you that I have informed the Board that I shall not seek re relection as President and I have asked the Board to consider the manner of finding a new candidate to contest the Presidential election at October Council. I do not wish to leave the ECF completely and I would like to continue as your FIDE delegate."

In the introduction to the topic dealing with USCF matters on her Forum, Susan Polgar makes the following request: "Please be respectful to everyone".

May I make the same plea in respect of any contributions to this thread.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:58 am

David Sedgwick wrote:May I make the same plea in respect of any contributions to this thread.
I won't accept anything but constructive comments on this particular thread
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Ben why do you feel the need to make the last post. The decision by Gerry warrants a little more respect I think
As I pointed out, I was looking for constructive comments on this one
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Loving the two faced new look Ernie. Ill remember Gerry for making alister Hung cry at ampleforth 2, thatll be it really, its how most of my side remember him. Whilst he did do good in his time, this was a belated resignation.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 pm

PS: Who is taking up the role is not disrespectful, its the question you ask when someone resigns. If someone dies then of course its distasteful in the short term. But eventually you need to know whos stepping in to the role. after all ernie you have been eyeing up the role, so go on son.
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Paul Douglass

Post by Paul Douglass » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Loving the two faced new look Ernie. Ill remember Gerry for making alister Hung cry at ampleforth 2, thatll be it really, its how most of my side remember him. Whilst he did do good in his time, this was a belated resignation.

Ben
I think Ernie's position has always been quite clear.

Ernie has respected Gerry "the man" but not in, as you say quite rightly, belated "holding on of" position as ECF President. I remember the post regarding the "slating" of Gerry from Nigel Short previously - right intent from Nigel to try and get some changes in the ECF but a rather idiotic statement regarding Gerry "the man" and his Mother, which took away any constructive arguments he had. Ernie at that time opposed the statement rightly due to the personal nature of the attack.

Constructive criticism should always be welcome but criticism for criticism's sake shouldn't be accepted.
Paul Douglass

"Every time I win a tournament I have to think that there is something wrong with modern chess." - Victor Korchnoi

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:35 pm

I struggle to respect anyone whos suppose to promote chess and can make a 15 year old from a struggling background cry. So I really don't mind if what i say needs to be taken with salt.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
I mentioned that this was discussed at a recent meeting of the Northern Counties Chess Union. It is to be pursued.

This is from the published minutes
‘Making the ECF Presidents position a figure head position only.’
Questions were raised as to the job description of the ECF President and who wanted it? The question of being a figurehead with no power also raised the issue of having more than one position within the ECF as the President of the ECF was also the FIDE representative. The meeting concurred with the proposal.
ACTION – Dave Cole to look into the ECF President’s job description and formulate a proposal for the April ECF Council meeting.
Ernie, these proposals don't seem to have materialised. Do you know why not?

In the circumstances a constructive debate at the April Council Meeting about the future role of the President would have been extremely well-timed. We seem to have lost the opportunity.

Ben Purton wrote:Who is taking up the role is not disrespectful, its the question you ask when someone resigns
Ben, I didn't see the post of yours which Carl removed. Perhaps that's just as well.

I'll endeavour to give a constructive reply to a reasonable underlying question.

In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, one of two things can now happen:

1. The Board can take no action and await one or more candidates offering themselves for election as President in October. Council can then decide between these candidates on their merits.

2. The Board can initiate a consultation process, in particular within the Unions, with a view to identifying a candidate who can command general support and thus potentially avoiding the need for a contested election.

It seems to me that there are pros and cons to both approaches

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:31 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:2. The Board can initiate a consultation process, in particular within the Unions, with a view to identifying a candidate who can command general support and thus potentially avoiding the need for a contested election.
The CFS fiasco has to be resolved first in my opinion, like the Finance Director position there is a danger that no candidates will even come forward for the role
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ernie.
Ernie Lazenby wrote:.
Notwithstanding Gerry's decision I feel the NCCU proposal should be put forward and followed through.
The problem now is that, short of a Special Council Meeting, there won't be any way for Council to make a formal decision as to the future role of the President before potential candidates for the position have to decide whether or not to submit nomination papers.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:54 pm

I vote Ernie for president!!!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Should I stand for the role? I'm open to argument either way.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:19 pm

You might find yourself playing a lot less chess if you did.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com