British Championship 2009

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
James Pratt

British Championship 2009

Post by James Pratt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:17 am

Qualification for Torquay. A list of players is displayed as a link on the site which is taking shape. Good. Good? I emailed Neville Belinfante - the contacted quoted - and asked why grades were not mentioned as a criteria/route to qualification, he replied that since the event was Elo rated he saw no reason to mention them. Grades always used to be used.

I further would like to know why I have never seen minutes of ECF Meetings dealing with such matters, the changes and so forth. I hold no office but are such things unavailable for public scrutiny?

Clearly the ECF are moving heaven and earth to get as many players in as possible. This is not necessarily good, no potential sponsor would be surely be impressed and Neville's reply to me, worryingly bad!

James Pratt (Basingstoke!)

Matthew Turner

Re: Championship of the British Isles

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:25 am

The list of qualifiers also doesn't mention Mickey Adams. Is this an oversight? (It seems quite a strange one to make - after all the players are just taken from the FIDE rating list), or is there some reason why Adams isn't eligible?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:05 am

James,

Personally I would be surprised if the British Championships used grades as a criteria. Why? Because its not the English Championships - it's the British! The Scots, Welsh and Irish don't use grades, they use ELO ratings. It's no surprise (to me) that for a combined event, the rating system that the majority of federations use is the preferred choice.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:56 am

Grading is specifically mentioned as a qualification criteria - Active Grade over 218 (2350). It's basically either/or. The fact than Scotland/Wales etc use ELO is irrelevant to whether ECF grade is a qualification route.

Just as a matter of interest what are the rules regarding grading restricted qualification tournaments? I saw an entry form advertising a tournament with a qualification place which had a top section of U218. Presumably this choice of grade isn't a coincidence (see above) - does this represent a minimum criteria? (I always tended to assume that only Opens were eligible).

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:52 am

I changed a few of the qualification rules in July last year after discussion solely with Neville Belinfante when preparing the programme. There wasn't time to go through a consultation process.
The number of avenues to qualify has increased dramatically. But these are laid down and specific. In the period when I was not running the event a 'reserve' system was introduced. This enabled the organiser to let in practically anybody as a large number of people who are qualified do not take up their place. I was even entitled to offer a reserve place to people from England because people from the rest of the British Isles had not taken up their places.
Thus I regarded them as grace and favour places and very time-consuming they were too.

I don't know about the event restricted to players under 218 which is a qualifier. Perhaps it is one of the Union places and they very much do what they want.
When I first introduced the regional qualifying competitions for the British, they were not open. They were restricted to players who had not already qualified. The British entry fee was part of the prize.The organisers felt it was financially better if they became open and I changed the regulations at their behest.

Players can qualify because of their grade. But I presume Neville does not bother to list these because nobody gets in because of their ECF grade who does not also have an adequate FIDE Rating.

Of course the 2010 rules will be under Manuel Weeks.

A new possibility is to use the same rule as for the 4NCL which has recently been introduced. This is that all players who are eligible who play against at least 7 FIDE Rated players and perform 2350 or higher become entitled to play. This could only apply to events of 7 rounds or more where most of the players are FIDE Rated. 5 or 6 games is too few for this system.

Stewart Reuben

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:55 pm

I don't see why Stewart can discuss matters with Neville Belinfante and the upshot not be minuted. This isn't the Blair Cabinet! If they had no time then they do now.

Neville did not understand my question and therefore Stewart's saying that grades are still used is, as far as I can see, wrong.

As a chess historian, I just loved the ECF's decision to use old Elo ratings. Qualifiers stretched make to PN Lee who can scarely have played since Siegen 1970. The spectre of Cecil De Vere, who is buried in Torquay, may haunt the boards at the ECF in 2009. Should he be offered a place? No, the idea doesn't have the ghost of a chance.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/chessparrot

James Pratt (Basingstoke!)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:50 am

The British Championship qualifying rules are there for all to see on the British Championship website.

Cecil de Vere did contact me about a place in the British Championship. I pointed out that playing beyond the grave is definitely not over the board chess and therefore his claimed FIDE Rating could not be correct.

I think James is referring to the fact that about a year ago Neville was listing all players with FIDE Ratings in excess of 2349 were eligible to play in the 2008 British Championship. This was corrected when I pointed out to him this was a small error. The Rating has to be active, as does the grade.
Stewart Reuben

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Stewart

I think it was very unreasonable of you to refuse admission to Cecil de Vere. One of the big plus-points of chess is that it is an inclusive game - we do not discriminate against people for reason of age, gender or health. Being dead is obviously an extreme physical handicap but need it be conclusive? I see no reason why he shouldn't play over-the-ouija-board chess. Perhaps Viktor Korchnoi could be engaged as a medium. Unusually for a man who prides himself on innovations at tournaments, you appear to have overlooked the tremendous publicity which the participation of a dead player would generate. However, I think you should explain to the late Mr de Vere that he is not eligible for any rating prizes on offer as he was of great strength in his heyday and we don't want any more Kozlov-type controversies.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 pm

I am pro the changes as It means Im now going to torquey to help Sarah in the main competition :)
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

David Clayton

British Chess Championship 2009 - Entry Form

Post by David Clayton » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:16 pm

The entry form for Torquay is now available from this link.

http://www.britishchess09.com/conditions_entryform.htm

James Pratt

Re: British Championship 2009

Post by James Pratt » Sun May 24, 2009 7:40 pm

I see Manuel Weeks has resigned.

Oh dear .. :?

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon May 25, 2009 4:00 pm

But he gets replaced by Mr Reuben, at least we have a replacement, i wouldnt do it for....
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue May 26, 2009 11:01 am

It is sad to see that Manuel Weeks has resigned from his post 'for personal reasons'. Is there any further information about why he resigned beyond this?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue May 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Dear Adam,
I have no intention of issuing any public comment beyond what I have already done. If Manuel wishes to make a public comment at a later date, he will do so. It is a very private matter.
The vacant post of British Chess Championships Manager will be advertised later this year, after Torquay.
Stewart Reuben

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Wed May 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Stewart, I think you should have to pay a late fee.

Adam, apply in due course having played at Torquay yourself.