ECF Junior Public Relations Officer

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Simon Spivack

Re: ECF Junior Public Relations Officer

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:50 am

emma bentleys dad wrote: The staff at the office have always been very prompt and thorough with anything I have been involved with or asked them to do.
I, too, have always found the office very helpful, even though I have not had many dealings with them.

When I was a club secretary the office often gave my contact details to prospective members. Perhaps this effect is more noticeable in a London based club because of the greater population.

I was a county treasurer in the early 1990s when a significant form of revenue raising for the Federation was in the form of county registrations. One year I did not receive any registration cards. I had no difficulty in arranging a meeting in Central London to obtain the cards.

When involved in the organisation of my county's centenary tournament I was hit by a late withdrawal. As well as ringing up many individuals I also contacted the office. Owing to data protection considerations they could not give me the contact details of the players I had asked for; however, they contacted the players on my behalf, leaving my details with the players to come back to me.

It may so happen that pressures on government funding may have a concomitant impact upon the ECF's finances. However, we are talking about the potential impact upon people's livelihoods. Some care should be exercised in what is posted here.