A Vision for the Future

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Peter Sowray

Re: A Vision for the Future

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:56 pm

To my mind, the core problem is that the ECF wastes a huge percentage of the money it raises via Game Fee or Memberships.

For every pound that you pay in fees (of either sort), I estimate that 80p goes into processing it. About 15p then goes towards running the grading system and the rest goes to other chess activities.

When I was on the ECF Board, I spent a day in Battle watching how game fees and memberships are processed. I actually processed an incoming membership request myself. I suspect that I am the only past or present Board member who looked into this in detail, but others also understood that it was a major problem.

As a matter of priority, the Board and Council should resolve this Game Fee vs. Membership debate. There are arguments in favour of both systems, but maintaining the two in tandem is a complete nonsense. You might as well just flush the money down the proverbial ...

Once a decision is made, the next step is to automate whichever system is chosen. That would cost a bit of money, but it would rapidly reduce the processing costs and would pay for itself in no time.

It's a no-brainer.

Peter

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
48p a game
Actually it's 96p per game.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Actually it's 96p per game.
By that token basic membership is £21 because you need two people to play a game of chess.

Just to make sure that we are on the same wavelength, if you get 50 players to play a 5 round Swiss and there are no exemptions or defaults then the number of games played is 125 (25 per round).

So you can compute game fee either as 125 * 0.96 or as 50*5*0.48 and you get the same answer in both cases.

The conventional way of expressing game fee is per half-game. So you can compare a cost of 5*0.48 (added to the tournament entry fee) with a membership cost requirement of 10.50 or whatever.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:48p a game, That's under £ 2.50 per head for a 5 round tournament and under £ 5 for a 10 round league. Anyway the ECF needs the money from the general player base to

(a) maintain the office in Battle to the required standard
(b) to run international teams
(c) to spend money on junior chess
The ECF should just document fully what goes where to put the minds of the membership at rest

What sort of accounts are forthcoming?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:01 pm

Bob Clark wrote:If I play in a ten game local club championship, then the ecf want £4.80 off of me to grade the games, despite the fact that most of the work will be done by the local uppaid grading officer.
How you can says that that is not exhoritant is beyond me.
Is it ever documented which bits cost what?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Bob Clark wrote:If I play in a ten game local club championship, then the ecf want £4.80 off of me to grade the games, despite the fact that most of the work will be done by the local uppaid grading officer.
How you can says that that is not exhoritant is beyond me.
Internal club games are charged at 16p per result (see http://www.englishchess.org.uk/grading/game-fees.htm). So perhaps that's not quite so exorbitant.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:50 am

Andrew

I think there should be a focus on what the ECF can do to encourage chess amongst 11 to 25 year olds. Primary school chess is relatively strong in England but 95% stop playing at secondary school (for example, visit any Megafinal to see this), and then there is a further drop off after leaving school. I think 4NCL is successful at keeping such people playing, as are some clubs, counties, leagues and schools.

So my suggestions:
1) Focus any chess for schools project on secondary schools (encouraging new activity) not primary schools (which would mainly support existing chess playing). Keep separate records of numbers in both. So of the 9000 asking for sets how many are secondary schools? There has been a welcome increase in the number of schools taking part in the ECF Schools tournament - but has this mainly been primary schools? (I would also welcome a removal of the long standing 'age handicap' system as we no longer need to give younger players an encourgament. I have twice run a primary school in this event and it has been very demoralising for the secondary schools beaten by much younger players.)
2) See what can be done to encourage chess within and between universities - about half our young people now go to university.
3) Investigate what it is that some clubs and teams (4NCL, county) have done to gain significant junior membership. What contacts do they have that means they have invited juniors to join, or have the juniors approached them?
4) Talk to those aged 11 to 25 as to why they still play, and why their friends have stopped. When the new grades are used next season ask them how they feel about it. (At school this would be known as 'pupil voice', in business 'stakeholder feedback'. If we assume we know what type of chess they want then we will probably get it wrong.)

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:08 am

We are hoping to achieve something along these lines with the new Junior 4NCL. By having three sections (U9, U11, U18) with coaching as well alongside the games themselves, we hope that young players' interest will be maintained throughout their childhood - and who knows, they may join 4NCL teams themselves in due course. The response so far has been very encouraging.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:35 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: The conventional way of expressing game fee is per half-game.
That is indeed the convention, no doubt so that the cost appears to be half what it really is. The ECF won't grade half a game under the game fee scheme, so it's pure spin to quote the charge per "half game"!

I'm just waiting for game fee to be "reduced" to 30p per quarter game!

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:51 pm

I have been struck by much of the comment here...some good practical ideas...BUT...are these visions for the future, or do we really need some pointers for today....?
We need a more welcoming chess scene that is more visible to Joe public. Chess is a game for the common man....so we must welcome players of all standards into our community....and provide good playing conditions. Bums on seats, as Brian Clough once said, is what its all about...
We call for help/support to boost junior interest.....why do juniors give up on chess (and many other sports/arts/etc...), apart from the obvious points...
One reason is ignorance....they and many others simply are not aware that chess clubs exist (in our local communities)....we need to constantly address that through Press and other means.....including good schools/college contacts...PR at grass roots level is vital.
Next, many youngsters and others dont join local clubs, be they cricket, hockey, amature dramatics, Bridge, or whatever....BECAUSE they dont think they are good enough. So we must welcome players of all standards. Not every player wants to aspire to be world champion....many simply enjoy a good evenings chess, and a bit of a social (clubs can be a bit stuffy and anti social at times). Todays novices might well be tomorrows champions...so all mannr of encouragement, including coaching, can be helpful.
So secretaries, captains etc, must allow some communication, and be welcoming.....and an old fashioned habit of the club secretary, president or whoever, of reading out notices at the start of a chess evening is to be encouraged. A club notice board and club competitions can be very useful. Too many clubs are all team/match chess & no fun....
We must be more co-operative...working for the best interests of chess...not narrow selfish individual interests. This applies at all levels..... The power of unity is not to be underestimated....those who `go it alone` can often end up out in he cold. Yes, some do achieve great things also, but often not without much support.
Much useful energy and good will is wasted on petty squabbling, and clearing up misunderstandings.

If we can get some of these things right UK chess could improve no end....its not magic....but does require a good supply of willing volunteers.
And we must not be too `penny pinching`...realistic charges are vital to allow organisations at all levels to thrive (catering also for those rainny day moments when things are not happening). There are many who think nothing of buying expensive season tickets for the local football...but fail to appreciate the hours of enjoyment they get from a £35 membership at the local chess club.
Yes, more Sponsorship and media TV involvement would be good, and boost our top brass aspirations. Maybe more GM tournaments in the UK would not go amiss....like those at Liverpool last year, perhaps.
I look at the amount of web coverage, and web chess, and the numbers interested seem quite high...but can the media oligarks be pursuaded that TV ratings are not everything, and maybe with the right format some major tournaments, either live, or edited highlights (probably the latter), presented in the same type of style as golf, might bring quite a fair amount of interest. I`m convinced that there are enough players around (counting internet chess players), to attract good interest and they would not find it (beyond them....) Raymond Keene and Bill Hartson put on some excellent commentories in past years.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Dai Carpenter

Post by Dai Carpenter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:
I therefore invite contributors to this forum to offer their own thoughts on what they would like to see in terms of English chess in 10 years' time. This is not about personalities, nor is it about specific actions; it's about long-term goals.

Andrew Farthing
Right, I'll give this a shot. I actually work as a Development Officer for a Sports National Governing Body.

1.) A proper coach accreditation scheme to follow that of the UK Coaching Certificates used in sport. This should have a syllabus that introduces potential new coaches to things like a lesson plan, what to coach, how to coach it. For a basic award anyone should be able to take the course. Higher levels of coaching badges should be accompanied by minimum playing strength (e.g. to do a level 2 coaching award you should be a 130 player or somesuch). In my experience (and as a former junior international) we simply don't teach people what or how to coach in this country; particularly pertinent for junior players - lots of coaches out there may be doing a good, indifferent, or bad job - there's certainly very little direction. Football gives even a basic coach definitive session plans for how to coach passing, shooting, dribbling etc. Chess should be doing the same for all of its different topics.

2.) Chess clubs to be established in as many secondary schools as is feasible. Community Chess clubs (see point 3) to establish links with and be an exit route for players at these clubs.

3.) Community Chess Club accreditation to be implemented. Clubs can gain this award from the ECF. To do so they need to meet criteria, which may for instance include the following:
a.) Have a junior and an adults section
b.) Have at least one coach who has completed a level 2 Coaching Award
c.) For each junior team have someone who has completed a basic coaching award and has a CRB check
d.) Be linked with a minimum of 3 secondary schools - either through running 5 schools tournaments a year at the club, or through formally being involved in the coaching at these school clubs
(Note: players as young as 16 can become coaches in sports, and assist coaches at an even younger age)

4.) The ECF to have created incentives to encourage clubs to gain the Community award. These could include:
a.) Discounted/free places on coaching courses and arbiter courses etc
b.) A limited number of free places to their junior players at British Championship events
c.) Access to a titled player 3 times a year (either for coaching or for a simultaneous event)
d.) Access to coaching resources on a private section of the ECF website (which could also include say a database of master games); to be updated by the ECF Director of Coaching

5.) ECF to have engaged with titled players to encourage them to sign up to an Ambassador scheme. This requires Aambassadors to volunteer a handful of evenings a year to do things like simuls for Community clubs to help them raise funds, and be a benefits to their members for their work with schools. I currently know one IM, one FM who would sign up to this. I would say I currently know 2 titled chess players.

I have been on here for a long time trying to push these ideas and get some feedback. Andrew I would welcome your comments especially. Maybe even PM me as I can't be bothered to debate petty points on here - please note the above are only suggestions, I don't intend to debate the merits of certain incentives or criteria.

Cheers,

Dai

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Dai,

I agree with the points you raise.

I would love to set this scheme up,working with other chess professionals and officials.

Who is going to pay for the enormous amount of work involved?

Andrew

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Dai - Sounds like you might work for the FA as this sounds very much like the FA model (I worked for the FA myself). I have long advocated a similar model for chess.

The main issue I think is one of incentivisation. In football, clubs become community and charter standard clubs mainly because of the financial benefits for doing so (in my experience). We'd need to think of ways to address this - buts that's detail that can be addressed later.

Andrew's point is also valid but given that much of this is implemented in football by volunteers doing so because they have a love of the game I wonder if that might also be viable for chess?

Dai Carpenter

Post by Dai Carpenter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 pm

I won't comment on specific National Governing Body club accreditation schemes; what I've tried to do is take some bits I like from the ones I am familiar with. I think there are two things to sort out if you like:

1.) Coach Education

2.) Community clubs and a player pathway

1.) Would inherently require a professional Coach Education Officer I think. This need not necessarily be a titled chess player btw, but it needs to be a salaried position I feel in view of a lot to sort out including a.) a syllabus b.) rolling out the courses (perhaps pilot them for an initial year in one region) c.) Training (strong chess players) to become tutors for these courses. Could money from the John Robinson trust fund this?
I guess we're looking at something in the region of 40k a year. Otherwise I think this could still be doable - there would need to be a working party of volunteers established to design all this - but this would certainly be my second choice. But there are enough events on the calendar by way of 4ncl etc (which attract enough people who may have an interest in this) to get the ball rolling at least I feel, as regular meetings to coordinate this seem achievable.

2.) This can only begin once 1.) is in place, and again I would pilot it in a region. I think this could actually be done through volunteers. ECF would need to establish a coordinator in each region or county; these would all need to be in touch with whoever is controlling the chess for schools project of course as they would be very much linked. Bear in mind I see only larger chess clubs being involved in this - it's not like I am trying to get every chess club in the country on board. But yes, it is a question of incentives:
I think the ambassadors could be rounded up easily enough (it's not like we don't know who our good players are, and it's not like they don't see each other regularly); I also think a number could be persuaded to be involved.
As a further incentive for signing up, could the ecf negotiate that community clubs, or perhaps members of community clubs get discounts with our suppliers of chess equipment and books in this country?

Chess seems to be good at attracting loyal committed volunteers, who in my experience sort out everything from grading to writing articles for newsletters. I think we could find the volunteers to do a lot of this.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi Dai,
Just copying my PM to you...below..
Just read your comments re Chess future aspirations... re ECF...etc?
Some of it makes fair sense, I guess....
I agree that coaching is an important element...but should not be over stressed....my view is that clubs should do more to welcome players of all standards....and encourage `novice players`, many of whom dont necessarily want to become `top` players, but merely attain a level where they can enjoy playing, and feel they are `reasonable`. Lots of people play `web chess`...it would be great to tap into this resource and encourage them to join the local club.
Also, your points about clubs connecting with local schools and colleges is very relevent, I think.
Are you a chess player...do you play in a north west club...?
My bug bear (one..)..is about chess publicity...More media involvement would help grow our grass roots clubs/leagues, many of which have been in decline for years. I`ve said that club and league secretaries should be more pro-active when it comes to promoting clubs and attracting new members. Notices in the local Newsagent, library, Information Centre, etc can help alert Je Public to the presense of local chess clubs, and encourage new members. Clubs must be welcoming to new players...many of whom may feel rather timid and over awed at entering these places...and the prospect of getting `mashed` by the other club players.....a friendly ambience is very important.....
Many clubs hang out in rather dowdy pubs, which I`m sure doesnt help.
However, also very important is generally making the chess community and joe public more aware of what is going on in the chess scene...locally and regionally. BUT...our local Press also need to play there part and publish local chess and league and Congress news..
Ive sent notices in trying for publicity and often it gets ignored....too boring to be of local interest....?? Maybe I need to get some better Press contacts. So, I`d suggest ringing the local paper first to speak to the Sports Editor, to ask if they would publish (Free..) a notice about local chess...with contact details....maybe with some news or other local chess news.
A regular column with results, games, Congress news, etc would be even better..

PS.. Regarding chess volunteers....alas, I take some issue here. Chess, like many other `sports/pastimes` always needs more volunteers (urgently...) to keep the wheels turning...its all too true that there are some very devoted practitioners who do bags of good work (behind the scenes)...often getting `flack` for the things that dont go right....and there is a real need for more volunteers at all levels.....Club, League, County, Congress, Union, junior, and National level. I`d urge grass roots players who can give a little of there time to attend various club/league/county AGMs, and approach officials to see if any help is needed.
Often some useful information can be found on club/league/county chess websites, indicating the need for officials.....and mostly they just want a willing pair of hands (not rocket scientists.....)
On the Congress scene, I`d like to see more regional networking...promotion via Web site publicity (across local/league/county websites/officials) and other promotions....and the email network can be a useful way of reminding players and clubs in an area that good local Congresses are taking place..... and these often cater for players of all standards, from novice and upwards... I`d encourage novice players (and others..) to try one-day Rapidplay events...
I`ve said before that one problem with chess is that it has lived in a sort of `information Black Hole`....too many club League, county etc.. officials meeting infrequently in quiet back rooms.. and not communicating effectively enough with grass roots, joe public, and other players or county league bodies. Grey men in gray suits, sometimes appearing not to do very much...and praying for the next `Bobby Ficsher` to hit the chess world and rekindle fresh interest. Much self help could help....and some new, youthful energy in these places might breath new life into some ageing committees. Very ironoic to say that in this information age. But we must not put too much stress on the Internet...getting out on the `street.`....standing on the soap box, with loud hailer in hand...might help to reach joe public...and other chess boffs...
eg.. A `Simultaineous` in the local town square/shopping centre from a local chess `expert`, with some accompanying
chess literature, books, club/league info, can be a great advert for local chess. I remember that Vic Knox, a well remembered figure in Chess, gave such a display a few years ago....taking on all the locals & interested passers by!!
Perhaps a stand at the local county Show, with publicity/literature about clubs/league/chess events. could also help stimulate local interest, and help boost awareness that chess does indeed `thrive` quietly in the area....
Chess is not just a game for chess wizards...its for the common man too....a truely great pastime/sport, on all levels
Just to illustrate my point...how many people realise that one of the best congress events on the chess calander took place this week at Paignton..... If you want a weeks chess `holiday` at a really impressive venue, this is one not to be missed. Again, I suspect quite well known in the west country..... and not quite as prestigious (if thats the right word).
BRING BACK THE BCF