Page 1 of 2
ECF web site of the year
Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:41 pm
by John Upham
Who do we contact to nominate entries for the prestigious ECF web site of the year competition?
I would like to nominate
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/
Maybe John Philpott could help with this? Who are the members of the voting panel?
I recall one year the winner was described as being so since it "had lots of links to other sites" : a comendable attribute I'm sure!
It would be hilarious if it won since we'd never be told about it.
I gather the above URI is blocked in the Hastings and Cleveland areas rather like Amnesty International was during the Beijing Olympics.

Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:30 pm
by William Metcalfe
The cleveland site won this award 2 or 3 years ago i doubt that would happen now lmao
Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:10 pm
by John Philpott
John Upham wrote
Maybe John Philpott could help with this? Who are the members of the voting panel?
I believe that this falls within the responsibilities of the Awards Committee, which currently comprises John Wickham, Stan Goodall and Bob Jones, and which considers nominations received for a variety of other awards including Magazine of the Year, Club of the Year, Congress of the Year etc. Nominations for the 2009 awards in the various categories will doubtless be invited in due course.
Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:12 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Before this goes further (and gets silly..) it would be far from appropriate given the history for this site to even be considered
Any attempt at such a farce would be declined by me

Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:37 pm
by John Upham
Carl Hibbard wrote:Before this goes further (and gets silly..) it would be far from appropriate given the history for this site to even be considered
Any attempt at such a farce would be declined by me

Carl,
It could be that the awards committee are unaware of the fact that they shouldn't be looking at this site!?
Hence my attempt at irony...
I'll nominate it in any case along with the Atticus forum (which appears to have died).
Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:10 am
by Carl Hibbard
John Upham wrote:Hence my attempt at irony...
I noticed
But you would not want this to become the "John Sergent" of a forum would you?
Know what I mean

Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:25 am
by John Upham
Carl Hibbard wrote:
But you would not want this to become the "John Sergent" of a forum would you?
Who would be the equivalent of Brucie and Len Goodman in this scenario?

Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:34 am
by John Upham
I have nominated this place for ECF web site of the year, 2009 by contacting John Wickham.
He has informed me this web site is not in fact a web site and therefore (I assume) not fit for consideration.
I believe that the Streatham and Brixton Blog and mentioned in dispatches in a previous year : is that a web site?
Indeed :
The blog is updated around once per day, and was the English Chess Federation's Website of the Year for 2007. More...
I've only been a web developer since 1993 so I'm a little green on these matters : perhaps someone could enlighten me?
I've also asked if all nominations will seek final approval from Walsh.
Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:52 am
by Peter Turner
I've always found John Wickham someone who is prepared to have a 'sensible' conversation. I'm sure he will be prepared to explain his comment about website of the year. You mentioned last year's winning blogspot. Other previous winners were:
2003
http://www.essexchess.org.uk
2004
http://www.clevelandchess.co.uk
2005
http://www.4ncl.co.uk
2006
http://www.penrithchess.org.uk
I cannot identify anything specific about these winners which would bar the Chess Forum on the 'not being a website' criteria. There could of course be other reasons of which I am not aware

Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:11 am
by Carl Hibbard
Peter Turner wrote:I cannot identify anything specific about these winners which would bar the Chess Forum on the 'not being a website' criteria. There could of course be other reasons of which I am not aware

Well I have been doing this now for 26 years and I would not consider either this or a blog as a web site

Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:12 am
by JustinHorton
Hmmm. I think it's a website all right.
Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 am
by John Upham
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Well I have been doing this now for 26 years and I would not consider either this or a blog as a web site

Whilst at The University of Reading I used to run an adult education evening course on "Exploring the Web" : I have a spare place if you'd like enrol. We start with basics such as what is a browser (http client) and what is web site, gopher site, ftp site etc.

You are never to old to learn in my experience.

Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:23 am
by Ian Kingston
If the URL starts with 'http://' it's a web site. What form it takes is irrelevant. Unless, of course, the award's rules specifically exclude forums, which doesn't appear to be the case.
There may not be much point in arguing, unless it's to clarify what the criteria are for judging the award.
Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:30 am
by John Upham
Ian Kingston wrote:Unless, of course, the award's rules specifically exclude forums
I'm guessing that the non-published rules exclude this particular forum.

Re: ECF web site of the year
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:40 am
by Carl Hibbard
John Upham wrote:Carl Hibbard wrote:
Well I have been doing this now for 26 years and I would not consider either this or a blog as a web site

Whilst at The University of Reading I used to run an adult education evening course on "Exploring the Web" : I have a spare place if you'd like enrol. We start with basics such as what is a browser (http client) and what is web site, gopher site, ftp site etc.

You are never to old to learn in my experience.

I started on a Honeywell based card system so if you can find anyone with more IT experience than me then cool I will show
I feel old
