Page 1 of 1

Sponsorship of Board meetings

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 pm
by Roger de Coverly
The latest minutes for the October meeting have this little snippet.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... -Final.pdf
Date of Next Meeting
The next meeting is scheduled for 10.30 am on Friday 1st November at 3 Whitehall Court ,
London, SW1A 2EL
Whilst it's not unknown for the ECF Board to accept hospitality from both the 4NCL and its own Congress, it did seem a somewhat prestigious address and I wondered why it had been chosen.

A Google search came up with
http://worldchess.com/candidates/about.html

I have to say I'm not happy about the ECF apparently accepting largesse from its new President even before he has been elected, it being equivalent in spirit if not in value to Kirsan's hold over FIDE.

Re: Sponsorship of Board meetings

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:27 pm
by John Philpott
As I have commented before, there is nothing like a good conspiracy theory. The minute reflects the decision that was ultimately taken as to the date and venue of the next Board meeting rather than what was actually decided on the day: the arrangements for the next Board meeting were of course a matter for the incoming Board and not the outgoing Board. A number of possible dates and venues were circulated by the new Chief Executive on the Monday following the AGM, and 1 November at 3 Whitehall Court happened to be the one decided upon.