Page 1 of 9

Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th 2009

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:16 am
by John Upham
A few minutes research has unearthed the agenda for this meeting as follows :

ENGLISH CHESS FEDERATION B 30
BOARD MEETING 10 JANUARY 2009

Notice is hereby given that the 30th Meeting of the ECF Board will be held on Saturday 10th January at 11:00 a.m. at the Ibis Hotel, Ladywell Walk, Birmingham B5 4ST.

DRAFT AGENDA

1. Apologies
G Walsh, P Purland, J Philpott

2. Approval of Minutes of last two meetings

3. Matters arising

4. President
4.1 FIDE issues

5. Chief Executive's report.

5.1 Chess For Schools :lol:
Vacancies
Strategic Planning
Ethics Committee
DMs Representative: Basic Members category: Proposal to Appoint Sean Hewitt :D
Information Commission Complaint :?:

6. Presentation of President’s Award to Bruce Holland :?

7. International

7.1 British Championships
7.2 Eligibility to play for England
7.3 Other International Issues

8. Finance (Update from acting FD on the financial position)

9. Issues that the CUs wish to be raised (to be notified to CEO before meeting

10. FIDE rating fees proposal (to increase in light of decline of pound)

11. 2009 International Correspondence Chess Federation (ICCF) Congress in Leeds

12. Date and venue of next meeting

13. Any Other Business

Note: there will be a break for lunch circa 1pm.

Your comments are welcome.

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:31 am
by Carl Hibbard
John Upham wrote:5.1 Chess For Schools :lol:

Information Commission Complaint

Your comments are welcome.
That is an interesting one - is there a way of telling what the complaint actually was?

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 am
by John Upham
Carl Hibbard wrote: That is an interesting one - is there a way of telling what the complaint actually was?
A guess : I suspect this is from persons who may wish to be removed from the online ECF Rating list :?:
I recall a member from Guildford Chess Club claiming that his rating was not accurately calculated and for that reason did not wish it to be published.

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:50 pm
by andrew martin
So the President isn't even going to be there.

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:17 pm
by John Upham
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Hes probably overseas on arbiter duties.
Funny you should think that. I received this reply from FIDE earlier today :

Dear Mr. Upham,

The expenses of the Arbiters are usually covered by the inviting party, i.e.
an Organising body of the respective event where such an arbiter is
appointed by FIDE or invited by the organisers. For official FIDE events all
such provisions for the FIDE principals and officiating arbiters are
stipulated in the respective regulations.

Best regards

Polina Tsedenova
FIDE Secretariat

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:20 pm
by Ian Thompson
John Upham wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: That is an interesting one - is there a way of telling what the complaint actually was?
A guess : I suspect this is from persons who may wish to be removed from the online ECF Rating list :?:
I recall a member from Guildford Chess Club that his rating was not accurately calculated and for that reason did not wish it to be published.
I recall the player's objection being "If my grade is that low it can't possibly be right". I don't recall any corrections being needed.

Perhaps the complaint is from the same player as I see that he is back in the ECF online grading list. Has the ECF slipped up by publishing his details without his permission? Or has the player accepted that after 4 consecutive seasons with a published grade of 90-something, and 82 games in total, that 90-something really is an accurate reflection of his standard of play?

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:35 pm
by Peter Turner
andrew martin wrote:So the President isn't even going to be there.
I also notice that, unfortunately, the Director of Junior Chess & Education is unable to attend. I hope Andrew has been invited!!

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:21 pm
by andrew martin
Hi Peter,

The reason Peter Purland and I cannot be there is that we are running an England U12 squad training weekend in Liverpool. It always takes place traditionally at the start of Jan. Just a coincidence that the Board Meeting takes place at the same time.

Greetings from Davenport,Iowa where it has warmed up to 13 F . Thank God I am flying home tonight.

Andrew

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:30 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Is anyone going who can "report" the outcome?

The actual minutes will take quite some time to make it onto the ECF web site :roll:

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:57 pm
by Peter Turner
andrew martin wrote:Hi Peter,

The reason Peter Purland and I cannot be there is that we are running an England U12 squad training weekend in Liverpool. It always takes place traditionally at the start of Jan. Just a coincidence that the Board Meeting takes place at the same time.

Greetings from Davenport,Iowa where it has warmed up to 13 F . Thank God I am flying home tonight.

Andrew
You'd feel at home here in Somerset, we are enjoying coldest weather for 12 years but still only -8c in places.

Very sorry that neither yourself or Peter P are able to attend the meeting but fully appreciate the reason. In fact it is worth forum members knowing why you cannot be there. It seems we are now relying on Peter Wilson representing Chess for Schools!! :(

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:52 pm
by Paul Buswell
Carl Hibbard wrote:Is anyone going who can "report" the outcome?

The actual minutes will take quite some time to make it onto the ECF web site :roll:
It used to be the case that - with prior notice (for logistical reasons) - any Direct Member could attend to observe.

Just a thought for anyone in the Birmingham area, if that still is the case.

PB

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:05 pm
by David Sedgwick
Carl Hibbard wrote:Is anyone going who can "report" the outcome?

The actual minutes will take quite some time to make it onto the ECF web site :roll:
I shall be attending as the SCCU observer.

I shall be writing a report for publication on the SCCU website a day or two after the meeting.

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:27 am
by Carl Hibbard
David Sedgwick wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Is anyone going who can "report" the outcome?

The actual minutes will take quite some time to make it onto the ECF web site :roll:
I shall be attending as the SCCU observer.

I shall be writing a report for publication on the SCCU website a day or two after the meeting.
David, people would welcome at least a "key points" review of the meeting if you are back online over the weekend

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:37 pm
by David Sedgwick
Carl Hibbard wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: I shall be attending as the SCCU observer.

I shall be writing a report for publication on the SCCU website a day or two after the meeting.
David, people would welcome at least a "key points" review of the meeting if you are back online over the weekend
As I was representing the SCCU, I feel that I should report there first.

Chris Majer undertook to issue a statement about the Chess for Schools Project on Monday. In the light of this assurance I agreed to defer publication of my report until then.

I understand that people are frustrated by the lack of news. However, we've all been waiting for so long that another 48 hours won't make very much difference.

Re: Board Meeting : Saturday, January 10th

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:45 am
by Carl Hibbard
David Sedgwick wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: I shall be attending as the SCCU observer.

I shall be writing a report for publication on the SCCU website a day or two after the meeting.
David, people would welcome at least a "key points" review of the meeting if you are back online over the weekend
As I was representing the SCCU, I feel that I should report there first.

Chris Majer undertook to issue a statement about the Chess for Schools Project on Monday. In the light of this assurance I agreed to defer publication of my report until then.

I understand that people are frustrated by the lack of news. However, we've all been waiting for so long that another 48 hours won't make very much difference.
That is fair enough, thanks anyway