Simply not good enough

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Angus French

Re: Simply not good enough

Post by Angus French » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Ernie,

You imply that the President has responsibility for day-to-day operations. Isn’t that the responsibility of the Chief Executive though – doesn’t it define what the Chief Executive does? If successive Chief Executives haven’t been able to perform this role then what have they been doing?

There’s been a great deal of flack on this forum against Gerry Walsh, Peter Wilson and even Charles Wood (I say ‘even’ because Charles was a relative underling and the buck didn’t stop with him). It seems to me, however, that the situation is not so simple. Others were involved too. Pertinent, to my mind, are the lack of a contract with Holloid and the question of whether 'due diligence' was carried out. Wouldn’t these come under the remit of the Chief Executive with backup from the board? In the board meetings where the CfS project was discussed, didn’t the Finance Director and the legal director/adviser (or others) express views on the need or not for a contract and for a due diligence process? If Martin Regan, as CEO, was, as he says, pre-empted by the issue of press releases, why didn’t he take action to deal with the situation?

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:54 pm

I think this post makes things very clear

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=7059#p7059

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Angus French wrote:Ernie,

You imply that the President has responsibility for day-to-day operations. Isn’t that the responsibility of the Chief Executive though – doesn’t it define what the Chief Executive does? If successive Chief Executives haven’t been able to perform this role then what have they been doing?
Angus,
You might recall my Christmas poll on who are string pullers (as opposed to the puppets) at the ECF...

After many conversations with many different persons up and down the land my personal perceived pecking order is :
  • 1. David W Anderton OBE
  • 2. Cynthia Gurney
  • 3. Gerry F Walsh
  • 10. The CEO (whoever that is at the time)
  • 11. The Board of Directors
  • 12. ECF Council Members
and, in the words of Esther Rantzen, "Unless you know different?".... :lol:
Last edited by John Upham on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 pm

The most annoying thing is the silence, where perfectly reasonable queries and requests are simply ignored.

I put it down to one of two things:

1) Arrogance

2) Incompetance

Possibly a combination of the two. Possibly there is a bit of fear involved.

The members are now asking the obvious question : what is going on ?

How do we get an answer? Any suggestions?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:07 pm

andrew martin wrote:

How do we get an answer? Any suggestions?
Has anyone written to Vera Baird MP or Charles Clarke MP recently? :?:

I can imagine they'd be not-too-chuffed to find their names are connected a failed project. :shock:

Perhaps we could write to them as concerned parents? Anyone know their contact details? :wink:

Check this link out people http://www.labouronline.org/wibs/166155 ... 21dfa9e45d :lol:

Who is the man at the back?

and

http://www.labouronline.org/wibs/165169 ... 90ee39c40d

and http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2008/06/uk-chess.html

disturbing for the MP involved is http://michaelwills.labour.co.uk/bc8546 ... 79b862afa4

and even worse is http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/slaggyi ... ge25.phtml

which asserts :
Here's a man you'll be hearing more about. Born in Napier Street, Gerry became an International Chess Champion and now travels the world as an International Chess Referee!
Indeed, don't we know it! :lol:
Last edited by John Upham on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:45 pm

Why do the non-exec directors (hint..) have no say in performance as per a normal company?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:48 pm

To quote:-

Role of the Non-Executive Director

Strategy: Non-executive directors should constructively challenge and contribute
to the development of strategy.

Performance: Non-executive directors should scrutinise the performance of
management in meeting agreed goals and objectives and monitor the reporting
of performance.

Risk: Non-executive directors should satisfy themselves that financial information
is accurate and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust
and defensible.

People: Non-executive directors are responsible for determining appropriate
levels of remuneration of executive directors and have a prime role in appointing,
and where necessary removing, senior management and in succession planning.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 pm

Martin

Thank you for drawing Regulation No. 2 to my attention. Apart from the specific point you highlight, this also provides a partial answer to Carl in that there is a job description for the NEDs:
Bring their business, chess playing and organisational skills and experience to bear on the Board’s decision-making processes, acting at all times in the interests of the ECF as a whole.

To monitor in a non-executive capacity the Executive Directors.

To ensure that the views of unions, leagues, congresses and other member organisations are properly considered at Board meetings.
Not everybody on the Forum will necessarily be aware that there is an ECF Board meeting in Birmingham on Saturday to which the Constituent Units have been invited to send representatives. There may be one or two very interesting questions asked, and I am almost sorry that I am already committed to taking my sons up to St James' Park that afternoon.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 pm

John Philpott wrote:Martin
Not everybody on the Forum will necessarily be aware that there is an ECF Board meeting in Birmingham on Saturday to which the Constituent Units have been invited to send representatives. There may be one or two very interesting questions asked, and I am almost sorry that I am already committed to taking my sons up to St James' Park that afternoon.
John,

Can you let me know who the individuals are who represent my playing actvities please?

These are :
Surrey Border League, Berkshire League, Chiltern League, London League, 4NCL.

Thanks in anticipation.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:32 pm

John

I believe that Mike Adams represents the Surrey Border League, Nigel Dennis Berkshire and the Chiltern League and Brian Smith the London League. I am not sure who the current 4NCL representative is, but Mike Truran doubtless will.

Of these organisations the only one which qualifies as a Constituent Unit and which will therefore have been invited to send a representative to Saturday's Board meeting is the London League.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:19 am

John Philpott wrote:John

I believe that Mike Adams represents the Surrey Border League, Nigel Dennis Berkshire and the Chiltern League and Brian Smith the London League. I am not sure who the current 4NCL representative is, but Mike Truran doubtless will.

Of these organisations the only one which qualifies as a Constituent Unit and which will therefore have been invited to send a representative to Saturday's Board meeting is the London League.
Thanks John.

Can you reveal the Agenda?

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:31 am

John Upham wrote
Can you reveal the Agenda?
I do not think that would be appropriate - the agenda is the property of the meeting. However, I do not think that I would be breaching any particular confidence if I reported that it included Chess for Schools as item 5.1 and issues that the Constituent Units wish to be raised as item 9.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 am

John Philpott wrote:I do not think that would be appropriate :shock: - the agenda is the property of the meeting. However, I do not think that I would be breaching any particular confidence if I reported that it included Chess for Schools as item 5.1 and issues that the Constituent Units wish to be raised as item 9.
So CSfS is not dumped into AOB this time... :lol:

Who will be the important persons attending?

Who do I need to contact to determine the Agenda?