ECF: One member, One Vote

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
KMcCarthy

Re: ECF: One member, One Vote

Post by KMcCarthy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 pm

Wll hrs my thrpncwrth whthr yu lk it or nt !

Purton is a wild cannon - fact!
Purton often spouts rambles drivels - also fact
Purtons spelling/grammar etc are often dodgy but then thats not really the point is it ? His passion for our 'dying-on-its-arse' sport sets him apart from most of the sheep in the game. :roll:

I do not agree with every point he, or the rest of you, have raised, and I never would expect to, but the vitriolic 'pseudo-snobbery' displayed shames several of you.

You may be some of the ~estimated~ 5% of competitive chess players with a semblance of social skills but it appears unlikely.

And as for P&P I think they should have the cahones to change their name at least :D
Sharks 4NCL

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:46 pm

I just won't put up with this general tone for too much longer - please keep the noise down a bit
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

KMcCarthy

Post by KMcCarthy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:49 pm

Taking your ball home Carl ? My first post in ages and that was hardly the rattlesnakes response to my impression of a mongoose :)
Sharks 4NCL

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:50 pm

KMcCarthy wrote:Taking your ball home Carl ? My first post in ages and that was hardly the rattlesnakes response to my impression of a mongoose :)
Sorry I was referring to the general tone of this one - not you!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

KMcCarthy

Post by KMcCarthy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 pm

hehe - i am such a sensitive soul :oops:
Sharks 4NCL

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Also in theroy why have you now got all these GM's in your female team... I thought it was suppose to be for English womens progression.....Your only English women at the first weekend is the most established one, who is in least need for good games.

Perhaps change the name to "Same Old 4NCL team with money?"

Ben
This one - you are pushing your luck a bit Ben, please keep to the point since I won't accept this sort of general tosh
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 pm

Things seem to have generally drifted away from the OMOV theme somewhat?!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Things seem to have generally drifted away from the OMOV theme somewhat?!
It is and I don't like the way it is heading - hence the very light smacked hand
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

KMcCarthy

Post by KMcCarthy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:59 pm

bsimhoycbs
Sharks 4NCL

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:56 am

Yeah sorry Carl I forgot the ECF is a dictatorship , my "bad"
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:58 am

Where is the right "area" to ask why there is no women....
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:07 am

Ben Purton wrote:Where is the right "area" to ask why there is no women....
If it's with regard to Claire Summerscale's 4NCL team in particular, the 4NCL section. If it's with regard to the more general issue of the lack of women in British chess, I'm not sure what section it belongs to - maybe General. I am sure, though, that it doesn't have a lot to do with the issue of OMOV.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:01 am

Ben Purton wrote:Yeah sorry Carl I forgot the ECF is a dictatorship , my "bad"
Did I miss something what has the ECF got to do with this?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:19 am

Ben Purton wrote: my "bad"
Can someone help me out here with a translation? :?:

I assume I'm out of touch with modern parlance... :oops:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:08 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
KMcCarthy wrote:Taking your ball home Carl ? My first post in ages and that was hardly the rattlesnakes response to my impression of a mongoose :)
Sorry I was referring to the general tone of this one - not you!
With respect, it was an indirect personal attack upon me. Probably made after a visit to the pub, at least one hopes that this was not Mr McCarthy's considered view.

This will be my last post in this thread.

Understanding what someone is trying to communicate is very important, this is achieved by adhering to certain norms. Failure to do so can make life very difficult; for instance, I have trouble differentiating between a "3", "6", "8" and "9" because of my eyesight; there are many letters, for instance "m" and "n" that cause me difficulties, too. Parsing Ben's posts is very difficult, even in the rare case that what he writes makes any sense at all. I invite Mr McCarthy to try and read a post in which the letters are moving, vanishing, shrinking and getting bigger, in no particular order. To anticipate a probable response; I do not use a text reader as my doctors have advised me to use my eyes as much as possible. The only alternative is to accept Gresham's law, and withdraw: I certainly won't miss Mr McCarthy's posts; presumably he won't miss mine either.

To suggest that asking someone to, at least, try before posting is not unreasonable, it is certainly not snobbish. Contrary to what Mr McCarthy may believe, and who knows what lies behind his effusions, no-one has attacked Ben for his contributions to chess organisation, he has been applauded for it. I have spent tens of thousands of pounds of my own money on chess organisation; I can only recall three occasions on which expenses were claimed; one was for rail tickets because, on the day of the match, a match in which I had had no role in organising, I was presented with the fait accompli of several players having no money on them: I was going to let it go, however, the club chairman put in a claim on my behalf.

Mr McCarthy considers my behaviour "shameful", probably because he misread my rebuke of Stewart. I have considerable respect for Stewart's organisational abilities: nonetheless, his second post only encouraged Ben in his delusions that what he writes is at an acceptable standard; Stewart should have known better.

As for the vitriol, Mr McCarthy should look in the mirror, this will enable him to hone his superior social skills before his next trip to the pub.