Page 1 of 5

Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 am
by Carl Hibbard
Anything happening with the ECF getting online membership going does anyone know?

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:24 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Carl Hibbard wrote:Anything happening with the ECF getting online membership going does anyone know?
We're working on it; we've had discussions with potential providers.

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:20 pm
by Carl Hibbard
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Anything happening with the ECF getting online membership going does anyone know?
We're working on it; we've had discussions with potential providers.
Got to be what 3% a transaction probably more?

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:46 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Carl Hibbard wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Anything happening with the ECF getting online membership going does anyone know?
We're working on it; we've had discussions with potential providers.
Got to be what 3% a transaction probably more?
That sounds like you have ideas for alternative ways to set this up. Are there any?

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:57 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:That sounds like you have ideas for alternative ways to set this up. Are there any?
No, if you want to take credit cards on an individual basis in a nice secure manner there is little choice

More interested to see what the ECF come up with to be honest

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:18 pm
by PeterTurland
I've been using Paypal for a few years now and have had no problems with it, couldn't be simpler and apart from Paypal, no one else gets your card details.

Ps. I will gain no benefit from writing this.

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 pm
by PaulJackson
ECF website wrote: When will the online system be available?

Paysubsonline are in the process of completing some final enhancements to ensure that the system meets the specific needs of the ECF. The ‘live’ date is scheduled for 16 July 2012, although it is possible that we may be able to launch during the preceding week.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id ... ngrenewing
I can't find the webpage for online membership payments. I thought it was supposed to be up and running by now?

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 pm
by Adam Raoof
We should have it up and running on Monday, but we're going to test it on various ECF Directors first ;-)

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:18 pm
by John McKenna
Drawing lots to see who goes first, I suppose. Will the guinea pigs be tested after, like in A Clockwork Orange, to see if they have been truly reformed?

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:50 am
by James Byrne
...

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:57 pm
by PaulJackson
Any news yet about the online membership payment? There's somebody here who would like to give the ECF some of their money.

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:52 pm
by Andrew Farthing
PaulJackson wrote:Any news yet about the online membership payment?
I'm sorry for the continuing delay, which is frustrating for everyone, I'm sure. I've been living with the feeling of being tantalisingly close to launch for several weeks now, and frankly it's had me climbing the walls at times.

Having been fully occupied with the Worcestershire Chess Open for the last few days, I obtained a detailed status update from those involved in the preparations this morning. Everything seems to be in working order, and I now have only to write a few changes to the e-mail templates and prepare some text for the ECF website, which I should be able to complete today. Tomorrow will see the final testing of live cases (including my own membership renewal), and the system will, barring any last-minutes snags, be launched on Thursday.

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:55 am
by PaulJackson
Andrew Farthing wrote:Having been fully occupied with the Worcestershire Chess Open for the last few days,
Thank you for the update Andrew and congratulations for all the money you helped raise for charity at your Worcestershire congress. I'm sure a lot of chess players apreciate all the hard work you (and all the other congress organisers around the courntry) do.

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:30 am
by Ian Thompson
James Byrne wrote:
PeterTurland wrote:I've been using Paypal for a few years now and have had no problems with it, couldn't be simpler and apart from Paypal, no one else gets your card details.
I've been using paypal a long time as well (5 years ish) and have had no problems with it. I agree that the main benefit is you don't leave an online "papertrail" of your card details when you make online transactions. Personally, I won't use this online payment service unless there's a paypal option. I'm happy to stick to cheque in the mail anyway.
PayPal is all right when it works, but don't expect any help from them when it doesn't, even if it's quite clearly PayPal that has caused the problem. Watch out for them raiding your account for money other people claim is due to them without even telling you first, never mind giving you the chance to comment on the claim first. If they block a transaction as potentially fraudulent when it isn't, don't expect them to do anything about it - they won't.

Re: Online Membership

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:58 am
by Roger de Coverly
Ian Thompson wrote: PayPal is all right when it works, but don't expect any help from them when it doesn't, even if it's quite clearly PayPal that has caused the problem.
Those who've had more dealings with PayPal than me don't like them very much as they can make it very difficult to set up accounts to receive money.

Other weaknesses in the proposed system will include the need for a password to renew. You set up a password in August 2012, how do you recall it it August 2013? Will they have a linkage between the grading code and the membership number for new players? If the linkage doesn't work or requires intervention, there are potentially disputed bills on the horizon.