ECF Website

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

Re: ECF Website

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:18 pm

andrew martin wrote:Its completely obvious the so-called target of 80,000 sets by July is not going to be met. I should think 8000 sets would be more like it, if we and the schools are lucky. In which case the press releases are ludicrous. I will be amazed ( not for the first time in this strange affair) if the target is achieved.
That much is clear (hence my asking...) even the recent East Sussex press release is for the sets delivered around the time of the October AGM are they not?

I reckon we might be at around say 500 schools at the moment, so one more for Adam to ask:

Is future production of sets (mainly the sourcing of the plastic material...) contingent on Holloid's finding sponsorship?

No, was the AGM answer but the "sponsor" PDF says:

This is where you come in: The 120 tonnes of plastic required is to be donated through sponsors as either plastic or a monetary donation.

Nothing quite adds up with this project but then perhaps it wasn't meant to :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:42 pm

The long silences and non-communication have had the desired effect of stupefying those who would like more detail. The questions remains: Is it in the interest of the ECF to continue playing this, rather obdurate game ?

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Well, we're still getting some free sets out of it, are we not? That must be a good thing, however much a disappointment the actual numbers are
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:29 pm

I completely agree Rob, but why have a published target which is going to be impossible to acheive?

It looks like bull and all who associate with it wear the same label.

I really do hope those 80,000 sets materialize. I know that a lot of help is going to be needed if the target is to be made.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:09 am

I have long thought that this project has been so problematic that it should be gracefully ended. I never understood the commercial rationale for Holloid to get involved in the sponsorship in the first place, and the repeated backtracking on delivery commitments seems to confirm that they can't see it either. Of course Holloid should be thanked for their input to date

It is long overdue for some leadership at national ECF level to put an end to it, no more fudges and hoping, just say it's over.

The schools who had been told to expect free sets have been disappointed a long time ago. The database of schools who did show an interest is clearly of potential value for the COM project. Is there not a way of offering some COM credits to all of those schools who have not received their promised sets. The issue of some free COM credits also seems to be a good way of marketing it to schools. (I assume the database of schools is owned by ECF and not Holloid?)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 am

Steve Rooney wrote:The database of schools who did show an interest is clearly of potential value for the COM project. Is there not a way of offering some COM credits to all of those schools who have not received their promised sets. The issue of some free COM credits also seems to be a good way of marketing it to schools. (I assume the database of schools is owned by ECF and not Holloid?)
The database of schools (now the aggregated phase 1 and phase 2 versions) is indeed, owned by the ECF. The data has been cleaned up considerably and many of the contacts refreshed. An awful lot of hard work has gone into adding value to this dataset and it will be used to market CoM to the schools who have already received their free sets.

The numbers are nowhere near as high as we would like for sure. There is a great opportunity here and we should not waste it. Your idea of providing some redress to the schools who have been disappointed is a good one and hopefully will be (unofficially at least) read by relevant board members.

The current marketing plan it to promote CoM to the schools already having had their free sets. I fear the number are too low to result in a significant take-up. We also plan to market to individuals world-wide but the means for doing this are somewhat less obvious.

We have a good sponsor on board and this opportunity must also not be wasted.

I hope you will all support what is trying to be achieved here. :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Upham

SSL certificate deployed

Post by John Upham » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:22 pm

All,

You may have noticed (or you may be noticing) a small blip today of the ECF main site. This was due to the deployment of the SSL certificate allowing secure http (https) connections.

Visit https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ if you don't believe me.

This will allow CoM to work more securely and will allow future development such as secure form submission that will allow membership renewals and new memberships to be taken on-line.

Andrew Walker and I have a number of ideas for the future.... :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:21 am

Adam Raoof wrote:You may be right. However, assume that I know nothing about the CfS situation, or who Holloid or the ECF actually are ;-) Now put those questions in a complete sentence for me, just so I don't misinterpret what actual information you wish to have, and I will put those questions at the meeting and report the answer here. Promise!
Anything to report from yesterday then please Adam?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:20 am

ohh - plenty! I will start a new thread for that!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!