Page 1 of 3

Membership database online?

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:51 am
by John Upham
Would anyone wish to access the ECF membership database if I made it available on-line?

I've just imported part of it into MySQL and have a generic PHP wrapper written to allow queries.

Since it is no longer password protected I assume this means it is in the public domain?

I can also do the same with the voting register should you wish?

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:05 pm
by Mick Norris
Any Data Protection issues?

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:16 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Mick Norris wrote:Any Data Protection issues?
If the Membership List is just a copy of what's downloadable now but in a different form, then no.

As for the Voting Register, if it's just a copy of the document presented to Council now, then no. If it's the full-caboodle, including the grading database, the names and addresses of the Treasurers/Graders, then there are Data Protection Act violations in abundance, I'd have thought.

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:54 pm
by John Upham
One of the motives for doing this is to integrate the membership database with the ECF web site and then to demonstrate how to implement on-line renewals and other membership services.

Obviously, the Manager of IT has been working hard on this project.

Who is it again?

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:03 am
by Jon Griffith
ECF Memberships are now shown in the Yorkshire Grading List
http://www.chessnuts.org.uk
I asked if I could do this. No-one objected. They like you to acknowledge ECF copyright.

I put it there by
1 Download the xls
2 Save it as csv
3 LOAD DATA INFILE to MySQL

If you have done this already, John, please tell me how to find it.
But the problem is knowing when an update goes live.
This time of year there are plenty of updates.

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:40 am
by David Sedgwick
John Upham wrote:Would anyone wish to access the ECF membership database if I made it available on-line?

I've just imported part of it into MySQL and have a generic PHP wrapper written to allow queries.

Since it is no longer password protected I assume this means it is in the public domain?

I can also do the same with the voting register should you wish?
I'm obviously being totally thick.

Since I can already access the ECF Membership list and the Voting Register on the ECF website, why would I wish to access them somwhere else instead?

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:17 am
by Simon Spivack
David Sedgwick wrote:I'm obviously being totally thick.

Since I can already access the ECF Membership list and the Voting Register on the ECF website, why would I wish to access them somwhere else instead?
I believe John means access programmatically. For instance a league secretary might wish to download the data automatically, sort and excise. He could use this to compare against a list of league participants, a check upon whether they are members, this could be easier than manually downloading and checking.

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:48 pm
by John Upham
I've just renewed my membership online.


Here is part of the form I completed:
Membership Selection
Please select the membership type you wish to purchase.
Player Licence (Senior)
Required to play national tournaments and all formats of British league.
£26.00
Player Membership (Senior)
Required to play local league, county championships, or 1 star tournaments.
£6.00
Associate Membership
Required if you play in a premier club but fall into neither of the above categories.
£3.00
Back
Next
We automatically select the correct membership based on your date of birth.
If you believe we have selected an incorrect age group, please go back and ensure your date of birth is correct.
I've only pasted the text.

Having selected the appropriate membership category I was presented with a standard SagePay from and did the usual credit card thing.

I was also able to update my membership details and personal information.

I have just received an email receipt of my transaction as follows:


English Table Tennis Association
Queensbury House, Havelock Road
Hastings, East Sussex
TN34 1HF
Receipt


John Upham
The Lodge
51 Prospect Rd
Farnborough
Hampshire
GU14 8NT
England


Date: 20/10/2011
Transaction Code: ETTA1110201ZZZZZ
IM Number: 50XXX


Description Qty Price
Player Membership (Senior) 1 £Y.00

Total: £Y.00


Thank you for your purchase.
Your membership card will be mailed to you in due course.
Until then you can use this receipt (which has your IM number on it) as proof of purchase for your League or Club.




The ETTA is based in Hastings.

I guess this is far too radical for the chess world!

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:08 pm
by Sean Hewitt
John Upham wrote:I've just renewed my membership online.


Here is part of the form I completed:
Membership Selection
Please select the membership type you wish to purchase.
Player Licence (Senior)
Required to play national tournaments and all formats of British league.
£26.00
Player Membership (Senior)
Required to play local league, county championships, or 1 star tournaments.
£6.00
Associate Membership
Required if you play in a premier club but fall into neither of the above categories.
£3.00
Back
Next
We automatically select the correct membership based on your date of birth.
If you believe we have selected an incorrect age group, please go back and ensure your date of birth is correct.
I've only pasted the text.

Having selected the appropriate membership category I was presented with a standard SagePay from and did the usual credit card thing.

I was also able to update my membership details and personal information.

I have just received an email receipt of my transaction as follows:


English Table Tennis Association
Queensbury House, Havelock Road
Hastings, East Sussex
TN34 1HF
Receipt


John Upham
The Lodge
51 Prospect Rd
Farnborough
Hampshire
GU14 8NT
England


Date: 20/10/2011
Transaction Code: ETTA1110201ZZZZZ
IM Number: 50XXX


Description Qty Price
Player Membership (Senior) 1 £Y.00

Total: £Y.00


Thank you for your purchase.
Your membership card will be mailed to you in due course.
Until then you can use this receipt (which has your IM number on it) as proof of purchase for your League or Club.




The ETTA is based in Hastings.

I guess this is far too radical for the chess world!
I don't know - it's not too dissimilar from an online e2e4 entry!

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:47 pm
by Roger de Coverly
John Upham wrote: I guess this is far too radical for the chess world!
Which part do you mean? If it's the bit about player licensing, is it the case that you cannot both be a member of ETTA and take part in a non affiliated league? If it applied in chess it would exclude most of the Yorkshire chess players from events outside their local area.

http://etta.co.uk/our-sport-modules/ind ... ship-faqs/
Question 23: My league is not affiliated and I cannot play anywhere else as no affiliated
league is nearby. Can I become a member?

In an ideal world your league would affiliate and its members join the ETTA so that you can all enjoy the benefits of membership. However if your league did not choose to affiliate you would be in an awkward position as ETTA rules do not allow Competitive Play between affiliated and nonaffiliated players.
.

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 pm
by Neville Belinfante
Hi John

Did you take out national or local membership of ETTA? If local, does it cover all local leagues that you may wish to play in or just one? Was your membership card sent to you electronically, or is that being sent by snail-mail?

I have heard a complaint from another ETTA member that he plays in two counties, and so had to pay twice the membership fee.

Regards

Neville Belinfante

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 pm
by John Upham
Neville Belinfante wrote:
I have heard a complaint from another ETTA member that he plays in two counties, and so had to pay twice the membership fee.

Regards

Neville Belinfante
More fool him. Who was it: Jan Ove Waldner?

However, there is no "so" about it. I play in Berkshire, Hampshire and Surrey and manage my own membership renewal.

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:37 pm
by Alex Holowczak
John Upham wrote:Who was it: Jan Ove Waldner?
I find it hard to believe that Jan Ove Waldner would have to part with his own money to be a ETTA member. :wink:

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:49 pm
by John Upham
Alex Holowczak wrote:
John Upham wrote:Who was it: Jan Ove Waldner?
I find it hard to believe that Jan Ove Waldner would have to part with his own money to be a ETTA member. :wink:
You assumed I meant the Jan Ove Waldner and therefore fell into the obvious trap...

See http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getre ... ef=261126A for example...

Re: Membership database online?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:13 am
by Neville Belinfante
I have never heard of Jan Ove Waldner, so I regret that any intended joke has gone over my head. The ETTA member in question was someone I met at a bridge holiday (I always play bridge over Christmas). A conversation in the bar one evening was about the different approaches to membership between bridge, chess and table-tennis. That was when he complained about double-charging.

Meanwhile this evening, ETTA's homophone, the Basque separate group ETA, has today announced it is giving up its armed struggle. This thread may therefore have played a small but significant part in the cause of world peace.

Regards

Neville Belinfante