Page 1 of 5
Chief Executives Report
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:59 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Additional documents here:
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=3010
The budget report has changed filename although what (if anything) has changed is uncertain
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm
by Matthew Turner
Wow, Chris Majer going, Cynthia going.
"When attempting to identify savings we should remember that the DCMS grant comes from the elite performance team - in other words, the justification for the grant within DCMS is to support International and Junior chess."
Stop press DCMS don't want money spent on an Office
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm
by Alex Holowczak
"As part of the actions to put the long-term finances of the ECF on a sound footing a strategic review of the ECF Office will be conducted."
Now there's a document I look forward to reading.
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:16 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Does that now leave anyone who was/is involved with the CFS project?
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:05 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Looking forward to the follow up report on Chess for Schools, especially considering the budget report:
Chess for Schools sets are still being delivered. We expect the ECF to incur further related administrative expenses of £6,000 during 2010-11.
Anyone want to
bet on "good news" just before the 17th then

Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:45 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:28 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:48 pm
by David Sedgwick
Ernie Lazenby wrote:As a matter of interest; in those areas where sets have been delivered was the local chess association informed or asked to attend?
Surrey County Chess Association was invited to the event at Wilson's School in June 2009. (Please see
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=846.)
However, as it was we who suggested the idea to the ECF and hence Holloid, it would have been difficult to exclude us.
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:23 am
by Adam Raoof
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Stockton-On-Tees is part of Cleveland Chess Association. Neither I as President or our Chairman were informed about this let alone asked to attend. I guess I must accept that my crtitical comments about the free sets programme would exclude me. Still it would have been nice to speak to the relevant schools to see if the CCA could help in any way.
As a matter of interest; in those areas where sets have been delivered was the local chess association informed or asked to attend?
I hope that possessing and expressing an opinion would not exclude you, Ernie! We really need to involve local chess associations in the CfS and CoM initiatives and give them all a stake in making them a success.
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:16 am
by Sean Hewitt
Adam Raoof wrote: We really need to involve local chess associations in the CfS and CoM initiatives and give them all a stake in making them a success.
Quite so Adam. Any idea why Cleveland were not involved (and were not even aware) of the latest delivery?
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:23 pm
by Adam Raoof
Sean Hewitt wrote:Adam Raoof wrote: We really need to involve local chess associations in the CfS and CoM initiatives and give them all a stake in making them a success.
Quite so Adam. Any idea why Cleveland were not involved (and were not even aware) of the latest delivery?
Not a clue. A question for the Council meeting, perhaps?
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:22 am
by Sean Hewitt
I am sure the Cleveland rep will ask the appropriate questions on Saturday.
I hope that the administrative process for delivering sets includes routinely advising/inviting the local county association.
Of course, it's possible that ther have been so few deliveries that there isn't an administrative process yet!
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 am
by Carl Hibbard
The current 'report' documents a CFS update is to follow which could prove interesting
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:33 pm
by Kirstie Lapworth
Cleveland was not involved in the Stockton On Tees distribution of Chess Sets for 2 reasons.
The main one being that Cleveland as an area has a huge amount of schools registered and I have broken this down into smaller individual areas. The sets are being distributed by LEA's and Redcar & Cleveland is a separate LEA to Stockton on Tees. I have already spoken with 2 people involved with chess clubs in these areas, along with people in surrounding areas and once enough chess sets have been produced to distribute in these area I will be approaching all chess clubs and associations to help if they can.
The second reason is because the Stockton on Tees MP Frank Cook was able to offer the collection of the sets for his area directly from Holloid Plastics as a local removal company had offered to collect and store them for free ready for the distribution across Stockton.
I am speaking with many people from different chess clubs, organisations and associations across England to help co-ordinate the distribution of sets, as I think the involvement of the chess community is vital in the successful distribution and promotion of this project.
I did ask for volunteers to help with the distribution as well as the packing of boxes, but I do not recall seeing a response from you. If you would like to be involved, please contact me directly, as any assistance that will progress this project and promote chess would be appreciated.
Re: Chief Executives Report
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 pm
by Carl Hibbard
I though people had volunteered (Matthew Turner was one...) but there weren't any sets able to be supplied at that time?
But now there are and they went somewhere unexpected
I am confused, so Kirstie are you able to comment further
