ECF Board Meeting, Birmingham 13th March 2010

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Adam Raoof

Re: ECF Board Meeting, Birmingham 13th March 2010

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Why can't I play for Lancashire? My mother is from Lancashire...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Why can't I play for Lancashire? My mother is from Lancashire...
I think that would be a fairly sensible eligibility criterion. In International play, you can often go back to parents for eligibility (but a sore point, in some cases).

Such a rule would disadvantage the new NCCU counties though, because in some cases, their parents couldn't have been born in the likes of GM, Cleveland, Merseyside, because they didn't exist should parents be over the age of 36. Of course, as time passes, that'll be less of a problem.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:Why can't I play for Lancashire? My mother is from Lancashire...
I think that would be a fairly sensible eligibility criterion. In International play, you can often go back to parents for eligibility (but a sore point, in some cases).

Such a rule would disadvantage the new NCCU counties though, because in some cases, their parents couldn't have been born in the likes of GM, Cleveland, Merseyside, because they didn't exist should parents be over the age of 36. Of course, as time passes, that'll be less of a problem.
That's one way you could rule, of course. Alternatively, you could rule that someone whose mother was born in Liverpool (say) is eligible for Merseyside, because his mother's place of birth has since become part of Merseyside, even if it wasn't at the time.