Page 1 of 1

FIDE Coaching qualifications

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:22 pm
by andrew martin
I notice that England doesn't have many coaches with FIDE qualifications. I'm keen to correct this situation. Would all ECF accredited coaches who think they would like to try for a FIDE coaching title please contact me and we will see what can be done.

Thanks, Andrew

[email protected]

Re: FIDE Coaching qualifications

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 am
by Paul Bielby
I've just spent some time looking up the requirements for this.

It's all very thorough and Germanic and serious. They offer a three day course in Berlin including a whole day spent on "Psychology and Pedagogics". Ouch! Fortunately I don't qualify, never having had a FIDE rating! They charge at least 100 euros for the title - something I'm glad the ECF haven't thought of yet.

Having taught chess in schools since 1959 - yes, 50 years ago! - I think they have missed out on the most important thing in teaching the game. That Chess is fun!

Re: FIDE Coaching qualifications

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:56 am
by Ben Purton
How do you become an ECF accredited coach, I a coach in some schools, might be useful if its cheap to do.

Ben

Re: FIDE Coaching qualifications

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:16 pm
by Adam Raoof
Paul Bielby wrote:.... They charge at least 100 euros for the title - something I'm glad the ECF haven't thought of yet...
Hmm... now there is a good idea! Seriously, though - admin for coaching involves time and money, and the ECF should really be the place anyone can go to for a list on accredited, CRB checked coaches in their area. I think an online examination supported by practical experience and guaranteed inclusion on the ECF list is worth - £40? What do you think? I could create an online exam quite easily, given the materials.

Re: FIDE Coaching qualifications

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:37 pm
by John Philpott
The process for becoming an ECF accredited coach is covered by the second part of Regulation No. 3 The Arbiters and Coaches Regulations. This is sufficiently short for it to be reasonable to quote the full text here
(a) The Board shall be responsible on the recommendation of the Director of Junior Chess & Education for the appointment of the ECF Accredited Coaches (collectively or individually referred to as “the Coach(es)”).

(b) No Coach shall be appointed to his or her post unless the Board is satisfied that he or she has previously conducted himself or herself in a manner befitting such appointment and also he or she satisfies all of the following pre-conditions:

(i) Membership of ECF; and
(ii) Possession of Enhanced CRB* Disclosure at the time of appointment; and
(iii) The provision of the name of two referees and the receipt of satisfactory references from those referees - a direct appointment by the Board to an official ECF post shall fulfil this requirement; and
(iv) Fulfilment of the qualifications to become a Coach current at the time of appointment.

(c) All such appointments of the Coaches shall be for a period of three years and may be renewed for successive periods of three years provided that the pre-conditions set out in 2(b) above are satisfied at the time of each such re-appointment.

(d) All such appointments are subject of the right of the Director of Junior Chess & Education to suspend a Coach from entitlement to such appointment or to revoke such appointment at any time for good cause. Good cause shall include but not be limited to:

(i) The Coach ceasing to fulfil any of pre-conditions set out in 2(b) above; or
(ii) Breach by the Coach of the ECF Child Protection Policy current at the relevant time; or
(iii) Failure to perform his or her duties in an impartial and responsible manner; or
(iv) Any conduct likely to injure or discredit the reputation of ECF, its events, organisers, participants or sponsors.

(e) The Director of Junior Chess & Education shall give written notice with grounds to any Coach suspended from entitlement to such appointment and shall give not less than thirty five days written notice with grounds to any Coach whose appointment it is intended to revoke and shall consider any written submissions received from the Coach within that period. If the appointment of the Coach is revoked he or she has a right of appeal to the Board (excluding the Director of Junior Chess & Education). The appeal shall at the option of the Coach be either a written appeal or a personal hearing. The decision of the Board shall be final.

* For the purposes of this Regulation, the ECF will not accept CRB Enhanced Disclosure Clearances that are more than three years old.

Re: FIDE Coaching qualifications

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:29 pm
by John Upham
Adam Raoof wrote:
I think an online examination supported by practical experience and guaranteed inclusion on the ECF list is worth - £40? What do you think? I could create an online exam quite easily, given the materials.
I've already suggested that the CoM platform could be easily enhanced to provide an on-line exam for both coaches and arbiters. Each would require a pool of Q&As of course. We already have a platform on the brink of going-line so let us use it!

Re: FIDE Coaching qualifications

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:47 pm
by Neill Cooper
Ben Purton wrote:How do you become an ECF accredited coach, I a coach in some schools, might be useful if its cheap to do.
It's free!

Re: FIDE Coaching qualifications

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:57 pm
by John Upham
I'm hoping that we can add to http://www.ecfcoaching.org.uk/ the criteria required to become an ECF Accredited coach in due course.