ECF Member reps election 2023

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

ECF Member reps election 2023

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:10 pm

ECF Direct Members are invited to apply to be Direct Members’ Representatives. The term of office of current holders expires on 31 July 2023 but current holders are entitled to restand if they fulfil the requirements for election.
For the purpose of the election of Representatives, Direct Members are grouped into the following five categories –

(a) Honorary Life Vice Presidents, Honorary Life Members and Life Members
(b) Gold Members and Gold Junior Members
(c) Silver Members and Silver Junior Members
(d) Bronze Members and Bronze Junior Members
(e) Platinum Members
Each of these five categories is entitled to elect two Representatives. Applications are sought among the five categories. If there are more than two applications in any category, a first two past the post election will be held in that category in accordance with instructions to be issued by the Board.
Representatives are members of Council, must be Direct Members in the category for which they are elected, and remain Direct Members throughout their period of office. All reasonable expenses incurred in acting as a Direct Members’ Representative will be reimbursed by the ECF.
To be eligible, applications must be received by the Chair of Council Email: [email protected] on or by Sunday 18 June 2023. Direct Members may self nominate and do not require any seconders. At this stage an election address need not be supplied. Should an election be required a period of a fortnight will then be allowed for this to be supplied and all election addresses will be posted on the website simultaneously.
Elections will be conducted by email from Monday 3 July to Sunday 23 July and results announced as soon as possible after this date.

If you plan to respond please email [email protected] rather than the ECF office if at all possible.
I hope we might get some good applicants (and not just John Reyes who I hope stands and gets re-elected) this year
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Re: ECF Member reps election 2023

Post by John Reyes » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:18 pm

i have put my name forward and thanks

i hope to have a fellow rep who i can work with?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 pm

You have our support John (unless I get ousted at the YCA AGM in a couple of weeks) :wink:

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:21 pm

thanks

I feel that you should work well with your rep and hope i do get re-elected.

it working for the members, and not your own personal view, and last season fellow rep was not helpful.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:40 am

To echo Andrew, you have my support and vote. If I get ousted too, I may even pitch in with you 👍
HDCA President

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:17 pm

I know that 3 people have put their names forward but i don't know who the other two are?

i just hope i get re elected from the silver members and also get someone else who i can work with as this year 2nd rep was not helpful

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:58 pm

My election speech

John Reyes - Silver Member ME007891
2023 Election Address to my fellow Silver Members
I seek your support for re-election to the English Chess Federation Council to represent the Silver members for the 2023-24 season. As a current Silver member, I have carried out this role for the past SEVEN years. I feel able to build upon my experience and move forward with
confidence for what this role requires for the future of chess and its players.
I have been playing chess for 30 years and I feel that I have a good understanding of people’s views, due to my beliefs and reputation.
I work well with others and have built lots of relationships with different members, leagues and organisations over time. I have been attending ECF meetings since the 2014 AGM, and I have been a Silver Member rep since the ECF AGM 2016 meeting. I still enjoy doing it. My reasons for feeling so passionately about being a rep are because I want the players to have a voice at meetings and feel confident that their views are being represented and discussed formally. Any feedback from these meetings is always reported back to members, who have been most grateful of the opportunity for their opinions to be brought to the table. This proactive attitude
and my action and response approach would continue if you vote for me to remain as the Silver rep for 2023/24.
I do not take for granted the role as I am proud to have been your representative since 2014 but I have never rested on my laurels. I am proactive in this role, and I feel that I have a good balance of skills and approaches - I canvass the opinions of the silver members, asking their views on key agenda items prior to meetings. If I am re-elected, I would aim to work in collaboration with whoever is also elected to support the Silver members, representing their views to the best of my abilities and hope you will elect me and someone who wants to put your views forward.
I always feel that any organisations need new blood coming through in order to continue the good work that has gone before and also to drive forward areas that could benefit from some change. I am passionate in recruiting new people and representing the views of members of all ages and of levels of experience. To gain a wider understanding of the complexities and viewpoints involved, I have volunteered to do different roles within the game. I wholeheartedly believe that this has helped me to see the rounded viewpoints needed to support chess
moving forward.
I’m excited to be part of the future that lies ahead of us and would be more than happy to
represent your views as members. I am also excited by the prospect of continuing in this role, if re-elected but also hope to find a fellow rep who cares about the membership as well.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope that you will give me your vote.
John Reyes Silver Member ME007891

On the ecf website

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/members ... addresses/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:45 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:58 pm
On the ecf website
The other two election addresses, for Gavin Cartwright and Julian Morrison, should follow shortly.
Neither name seemed familiar.

The usual method of looking up their rating record reveals that Gavin Cartwright is a 1850 ish player from the Midlands who returned to OTB chess after a long absence in 2021. He's only played League and County chess since his return. Julian Morrison is Kent and London based with a rating above 2000. Again he only seems to play League and infrequent County chess.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:32 pm

Good luck to John Reyes in the Silver members' reps election. John has, in my view, diligently represented Silver members for quite a few years (I was a Bronze members' rep for a little over five years, several of them overlapping with John's tenure). I don't know of the other candidates but hope they understand the role* they've put themselves forward for and will consult and provide feedback if elected.

Is there any news on the candidate reps for the other membership categories?

* What I think would be useful is a role description for membership category reps, highlighting the need to need to inform, consult and provide feedback to the members of the category represented. This requires quite a bit of effort!

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:00 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:32 pm
What I think would be useful is a role description for membership category reps, highlighting the need to need to inform, consult and provide feedback to the members of the category represented. This requires quite a bit of effort!
The Bye Laws say:

"Direct Members’ Representatives shall represent the interests of the Direct Members of the relevant category, consult with them in relation to material agenda items at general meetings of the Company and any other relevant matters of substance and shall, when exercising their speaking, voting and other rights at such general meetings, bear in mind the views expressed by those consulted."

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:17 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:00 pm
Angus French wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:32 pm
What I think would be useful is a role description for membership category reps, highlighting the need to need to inform, consult and provide feedback to the members of the category represented. This requires quite a bit of effort!
The Bye Laws say:

"Direct Members’ Representatives shall represent the interests of the Direct Members of the relevant category, consult with them in relation to material agenda items at general meetings of the Company and any other relevant matters of substance and shall, when exercising their speaking, voting and other rights at such general meetings, bear in mind the views expressed by those consulted."
I wonder: are candidate members' reps aware of (and in any way accountable to) what the bye-laws say and are the bye-laws sufficiently descriptive? Perhaps it would be useful if the Chair of Council reviewed the performance of members' reps at (re)election time.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:44 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:58 pm
My election speech

John Reyes - Silver Member ME007891
2023 Election Address to my fellow Silver Members
I seek your support for re-election to the English Chess Federation Council to represent the Silver members for the 2023-24 season. As a current Silver member, I have carried out this role for the past SEVEN years. I feel able to build upon my experience and move forward with
confidence for what this role requires for the future of chess and its players.
I have been playing chess for 30 years and I feel that I have a good understanding of people’s views, due to my beliefs and reputation.
I work well with others and have built lots of relationships with different members, leagues and organisations over time. I have been attending ECF meetings since the 2014 AGM, and I have been a Silver Member rep since the ECF AGM 2016 meeting. I still enjoy doing it. My reasons for feeling so passionately about being a rep are because I want the players to have a voice at meetings and feel confident that their views are being represented and discussed formally. Any feedback from these meetings is always reported back to members, who have been most grateful of the opportunity for their opinions to be brought to the table. This proactive attitude
and my action and response approach would continue if you vote for me to remain as the Silver rep for 2023/24.
I do not take for granted the role as I am proud to have been your representative since 2014 but I have never rested on my laurels. I am proactive in this role, and I feel that I have a good balance of skills and approaches - I canvass the opinions of the silver members, asking their views on key agenda items prior to meetings. If I am re-elected, I would aim to work in collaboration with whoever is also elected to support the Silver members, representing their views to the best of my abilities and hope you will elect me and someone who wants to put your views forward.
I always feel that any organisations need new blood coming through in order to continue the good work that has gone before and also to drive forward areas that could benefit from some change. I am passionate in recruiting new people and representing the views of members of all ages and of levels of experience. To gain a wider understanding of the complexities and viewpoints involved, I have volunteered to do different roles within the game. I wholeheartedly believe that this has helped me to see the rounded viewpoints needed to support chess
moving forward.
I’m excited to be part of the future that lies ahead of us and would be more than happy to
represent your views as members. I am also excited by the prospect of continuing in this role, if re-elected but also hope to find a fellow rep who cares about the membership as well.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope that you will give me your vote.
John Reyes Silver Member ME007891

On the ecf website

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/members ... addresses/
Update with the other two people as well.

My option was that Gavin Speech was more better then Juilan one based on being more of him.

If i re-election, i will be happy to work with both of them.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:20 pm

Ecf direct members results

Life Members – Stewart Reuben; Gerard Walsh
Platinum Members – Adrian Elwin; David Eustace
Gold Members – Tim Wall; Mike Waddington
Silver Members – John Reyes; Gavin Cartwright
Bronze Members – Tina Teotia; Gareth Ellis

The Silver representatives were elected after a very close contest.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:37 pm

Congratulations John
Any postings on here represent my personal views